Author Topic: No Threshers, Just Turds 6/18  (Read 1299 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
No Threshers, Just Turds 6/18
« on: June 18, 2023, 03:27:21 PM »
Wanted to make a stronger commitment to searching out inshore bait and thus threshers today. Out the harbor about 0630, sabiki trolling at the jetty alongside a swimbait. Swimbait got bit. Missed a good bite but broke the skunk quick. But no bait.

Started making my way south, checking different spots for bait and life in general. Bass zone had bass. Picked up 4 over there while scanning for bait. No bait. Kept moving south.

Finally saw a couple terns circling an area but not being very aggressive. It was enough! Started marking a bunch of bait schools. Pulled one mac out and it ruined my sabiki immediately. Stuck it behind a small bait-o-matic and circled the area for 15 minutes or so without any more action before moving further south.

Wanted to check out a spot that I had a good feeling about for bass, still dragging that mackerel behind me. Hooked up 5 more turds there, almost all keepers, to 3lbs. All of them hit and fought like twice their weight. That was fun. But they aren't threshers!

Moved a mile outside and scanned for bait while meandering back north. Found more bait, one more suicidal mackerel. Fouled an anchovy.

Ended up back in my bass zone, decided threshers were out the window for the day. Got my bass numbers up to 20, broke off on the bottom, went home. 18 turds to 2 calicos, all released. At least 10 were keepers. More and more of them are getting the orange lower jaw.

Conditions look mediocre the rest of the week, by the time it clears it'll be time to reload the freezer I figure.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: No Threshers, Just Turds 6/18
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 06:46:53 PM »
Sandies are fun.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 06:04:08 AM »
I love those orange jaw bass and those are some good numbers of good-sized fish!

Bummer on the T-shark hunt again, but it's just a matter of time and you have been ready for them for a while.  They're finally starting to show up in better numbers now!

Well done sir!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 08:35:18 AM »
 Sometimes them Turds put up a good fight. Looks like you went home with Bass Thumb, nice day  :)