Author Topic: Daddy-Daughter Day, On the BIG Pond! (11/28)  (Read 1876 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Daddy-Daughter Day, On the BIG Pond! (11/28)
« on: November 29, 2021, 06:24:51 AM »
So, Hannah and I have always fished the bay or surf since her mom had her freaked out about the ocean.  My wife refused to let me take her out in the ocean and passed that onto my daughter.  Finally, I talked her into getting out to look for dolphin!  It was supposed to be flat as hell, so perfect!

She was nervous, but excited.  Now I only hoped we could find dolphin...

Her first time on the outside!

We first stopped at a rock pile as I wanted to make sure we did some grocery shopping.  First drop and big red...  Got a single limit of bottom critters on 10 straight drops including a ling I released for being a wee lad.  Multiple Reds, Barber Poles, Treefish, Starries, and bigger grade Honeycombs made the cooler.

Hannah refused to hold any rock cod.  The bubbly eyes kind of got to her.  lol

She started to feel a little seasick, so I realized that we needed to get going and look for dolphin.  We travelled all over the outside and couldn't find a damn thing!
I saw some dolphin last week in close, so we decided to see if the residents were still around.  Indeed they were thankfully!

We followed them for a bit and she just loved them coming up to check us out.  After a bit, we decided to eat some lunch and make a few casts to see if anything lived in this part of town.  Caught a dozen mackerel which was cool and then saw a tarponing bass just leaping out of the water chasing bait!  I cast my little mackerel iron in his vicinity and voila!  Little sand calico!

Hannah did some casting, and we got a bunch more mackerel.  Well, Hannah was shaking them off since she started feeling bad for them...Normally, that would be a trip killer, but I was proud of her.
(Shaking them off the hook)

Just then We were looking for the dolphin and a 9-10 foot Great White leaps clear out of the water 100' from the boat!  HOLY SCHNIKEYS!  We putted over to try and get a closer glimpse of it, but we had no luck finding it.  Ugh, still cool as hell!  Never seen this in 25+ years of fishing out here and now seen it 3 weeks in a row with I think 3 different sharks!

At this point Hannah had to go to the bathroom, and a bucket was out of the question, so we went open throttle boating on the way home.  I stopped to check out a kelp paddy on the way home, but it was just loaded with bait.

We finished the run in and a success!  Hannah had a great time, we caught fish, and she saw dolphin and a tax man!

Great way to end the long holiday weekend... now back to a miserable job and work week... sigh...
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Daddy-Daughter Day, On the BIG Pond! (11/28)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 08:08:09 AM »
So cool. Except shaking off the mackerel.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 08:10:30 AM »
Nice finally getting her out of the bay, and the perfect array of action and wildlife. Crazy that you’ve seen the jumping white three times now. I wonder if it’s the same one.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 09:00:29 AM »
Nice finally getting her out of the bay, and the perfect array of action and wildlife. Crazy that you’ve seen the jumping white three times now. I wonder if it’s the same one.
This one was much bigger than the last two, so I'm feeling positive it's at least 2 different ones.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 09:07:55 AM »
 That's great she ventured out and got to see what it's all about  8) 8) Sight seeing and grocery shopping all in one day is a good thing !  8) 8) 8)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 09:40:55 AM »
Time well spent!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 05:20:36 PM »
Priceless
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect