Author Topic: Tuesday Night Plonking (6/20)  (Read 3499 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Tuesday Night Plonking (6/20)
« on: June 20, 2018, 06:19:00 AM »
I scoped 3 spots prior to walking down to the beach and when Squatch arrived, we decided on spot 4.  Something a little different and it was the most weed free area so far.

It wasn't long before my clicker started screaming.  It made some tough pulls before turning and heading right at me.  I thought smedium leopard for sure, but we were surprised to see a big butterfly ray instead!  I can't believe it was pulling the clicker so hard just being a butterfly ray!

Not long after and I see my rod bump.  I put the rod in my hands just as the line starts to load up and swing hard.  OUCH!  Big Bat Ray on the other end!  That thing was kicking my ass as I tried to keep it in our area instead of chasing it 100 yards down the beach!  I buttoned the drag down and just started grinding and walking back to gain some ground.  Probably 15+ minutes in and it hits a ledge.  The tide was just low enough to leave a shallow flats area in which it is hard to slide any critter over it, but this batray felt the ledge and turned 180 at full steam.  I thumbed my spool to stop it, but pulled the hook!  Better off that way as it was starting to hurt to reel in!

Steve's rod still lay quiet using road-kill for bait.

I get my third and final hit of the night and have it solid!  I thought it was another bat ray at first, but the tail slaps let me know it was a Soupie!  It's been a while since I've got a Soupie and forgot how strong they are!  I spent just as much time on this as I did the bat ray and got it in front of Steve.  There was a stale mate where I couldn't pull it in anymore and Steve didn't go any further to grab it and "pull goes the hook".  Steve reached down and tail grabbed it.  4 times to be exact as I ran down to assist.  It was a really nice 6 footer and didn't want anything to do with us.  It twists out of Steve's hands while walking it back and I grab it with my free hand and adversely dunk my rod and reel with the other hand.  This happens 3 more times before realizing this shark did not want to come out of the water.  A wave finally gives it enough water to swim off, but without a picture or a measurement.  No way I'm holding my phone over the water to get a picture.   All of this at dead low tide... so strange.

Oh well, it was still great to get a legit Soupie after a few months of quietness on my end as sharks are concerned.  10 after 11:00 and it was time to pack it in and get home.  Going to bed after midnight and waking up at 4:15am just sucks the next morning.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 06:20:38 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday Night Plonking (6/20)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 07:42:31 AM »
I'm bummed you weren't able to get that soupie on the beach for some pics!
Glad you guys found some decent conditions and action though!

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 09:12:26 AM »
Nice you got out, too bad your sandhand farmed your fish ;D

Kelp monsters, get thee behind me Satan >:(
Anybody have an emergency beer?

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 10:16:08 AM »
Sorry man. I tried.

Did you even notice the bat I farmed?

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 10:35:18 AM »
IGFA only requires you put your hands on it prior to the release.....................works for me   ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 12:09:34 PM »
Argh!!! Hate losing a grinner that has been pretty much landed! So is that a plonk or did you get punked?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 01:05:19 PM »
Argh!!! Hate losing a grinner that has been pretty much landed! So is that a plonk or did you get punked?
I think I might have to call that as punked.  It was in our hands 8 times dragging it back and pretty much would have considered it a catch if I got a picture of it in the suds.  It's always hard to call, but I think when they could get away on the beach without a picture, that means it's a punk.  I think we've lost quite a few this way in the past that way and should leave it as status quo.  I can say I caught it as I had my hands on it, but it won't count for the shark list as we need more control of the grinners to count them there.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 03:52:05 PM »

Yeah he really blew that one  ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 04:14:10 PM »

Yeah he really blew that one  ;D
Haha, no blame to anyone. That's how the cookie crumbles at times.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 04:24:16 PM »
A green soupie is tough to handle, especially when it rolls like a pissed off gator!! Josh experienced that on my last soup. Where's the tail rope?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 04:55:52 PM »
If Josh was there he would have dove in the surf and grabbed it with his teeth.  ;D

We have noticed that the soupie have been biting at the low too.  ::)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 07:15:49 PM »
If Josh was there he would have dove in the surf and grabbed it with his teeth.  ;D

We have noticed that the soupie have been biting at the low too.  ::)

Lmao nah not for Tom I wouldn't 🤣😉

I can day that I've never lost/not landed a shark that I touched though, Mike's last soup did give me a gnarly shark burn and smack my wrists together a few times trying to drag it up the slope but aye, she got photo'd 😏

Treecatcher

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 02:01:01 PM »
That’s a catch in my books. Definitely a nice quick release! At least you had some action!

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 08:27:30 PM »
What a great read, I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to get a pic.