Author Topic: Nope! 3/25  (Read 1276 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Nope! 3/25
« on: March 25, 2023, 02:07:33 PM »
Saw it was gonna be a tough short swell today but figured I could check out the goings on of the LA harbor area. I was seeing some warmer temps and there have been some mackerel around so thought maybe I could take a shot at threshers or halibut.

Got out the harbor about 0800 and started trolling the sabiki around the jetty. Immediately found a ton of suspended marks. Nice! Got slammed. Nice! Then these big ol' egg spurting jacksmelts came up. Nope!

Was holding my breath that maybe there would be macs mixed in, but picked off a couple more smelt and all the missed bites felt similar so f@cked off of that spot and looked for alternatives.

Once I got a distance from the jetty I was like wow, that's a lot of obnoxious yacht wakes coming my way. Then after a few minutes I realized that was just the day's swell. Those kinds of wakes that'll dunk a skiff if you're not careful. Okay, not heading outside!

Tucked behind the mighty LB breakwall and kept putting around with a crankbait way down low and a sabiki up top. Nothing doing on either rod, though enough scattered marks in all zones to believe that I'm at least finding plenty of fish.

Tried shallow, deep, mud, hard bottom, artificial reefs, no bites. Some bait balls down low here and there. One-off birds diving on micro bait.

Somehow forgot my terminal tackle tray, otherwise should have dropped down some various sized frozen mac strips to see if I could have hooked something among these marks. Various spots looked like some bass stacked, a lot of tight marks to the bottom.

Saw the writing on the wall, decided to pack it up and was in the harbor by 1100. Fun scouting some new areas. Surprised to see so much stuff on the FF in the mud behind the breakwall. Something to consider for the future.

Thinking about doing some deep dropping on Tuesday...

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Nope! 3/25
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 07:00:26 PM »
Then these big ol' egg spurting jacksmelts came up. Nope!

Man, SD bay get full of those guys in the spring and will slam some big lures!

Thanks for the scouting mission report.  I'm pretty jealous of you getting out fishing quite a bit, while I'm neck deep in all the stuff that's preventing my fishing.

I can't wait to get some deep drops in... It's going to be cool to see what gets dragged up from the depths.   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 04:23:01 AM »
Gotta hand to you Jeremy, you sure get around on the Mosquito.  Can't help but think if you had Tom's sled you'd be headed to the backside of SCI for giant BFT   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 10:06:25 AM »
Gotta hand to you Jeremy, you sure get around on the Mosquito.  Can't help but think if you had Tom's sled you'd be headed to the backside of SCI for giant BFT   8)

I’ve got blueprints already for the next (still small) boat and I will certainly get around in that. Gonna be a few years though…

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 05:59:20 AM »

I’ve got blueprints already for the next (still small) boat and I will certainly get around in that. Gonna be a few years though…

Let's hear them!  I remember every boat I had (and wanted) and all of modifications I made (and would make) that were perfect for me. I would love to hear other people's blueprint and ideas for their future sleds.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 06:08:15 AM »
Good looking marks, yeah, let's hear about the new ride ;)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 04:34:14 PM »

Let's hear them!  I remember every boat I had (and wanted) and all of modifications I made (and would make) that were perfect for me. I would love to hear other people's blueprint and ideas for their future sleds.

Made a separate thread for it in the Fishing Chat.

I remember looking back on your Boma build thread a number of times way back when there was still access to it. Fun to geek on these things.

Funny you brought it up today. I woke up with hull lines burned into my closed eyes, was thinking it might be time to think about something else.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 06:42:45 PM by jrodda »