Author Topic: Change of Plans - From Bluefin to Bass (6/26)  (Read 1228 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Change of Plans - From Bluefin to Bass (6/26)
« on: June 26, 2022, 08:12:10 PM »
Met up with Sasquatch for a quick morning session.  Big old knothead had one side of the dock all sealed up!

It was cool and foggy in the morning, but turned steaming hot by the afternoon.  Fishing with Jeremy on Friday, we found some warm water in LJ, so decided to stay fairly close instead of chasing BFT.  In hindsight, chasing BFT would have been more fun.  LOL
Otherwise the water went from 72 in LJ on Friday and Saturday to 66.8 and less....  Fish were in a temperature shock apparently so we moved from spot to spot until we found something to bite.

With all the cold water and catching a baitwell full of macks and dines, we decided to look for WSB and Butts....  We should have known we were going to catch a few dozen bass while butt fishing... 
Nothing huge, but the biggest was about 3 lbs, give or take.

We caught quite a few sandies also that were in total breeding colors...

Even the calico were pretty colored up...  (Broke in my new rod from Jeremy... Worked like a charm...

We had a 6' Great White under the boat, but it was a quick sighting as he wanted nothing to do with us...

Then we saw an 8+ foot Great White totally breach out of the water 50 feet from the boat!  I've seen a half a dozen do so with Squatch on board, but he was ALWAYS looking the wrong way when it happened... Not this time and it was one of the best breaches I've seen yet!

We cruised around and had some bottlenose keep us company for a bit before heading back to the barn.

On the way, we stopped at the ling spot.  I lost one on my first drop.  Then not long later, had one grab my mack and hang me up in the rocks to a point that I could get him out.  Meanwhile, Squatch took advantage of my disadvantage and found a keeper ling pull on board! 

We still tossed him back as neither of us wanted fish cleaning duties when we got back.

On the way in, we were watching two parasailing boats dropping the chutes right in front of the inlet with the people strapped in.  Like 100 feet from/and in the middle of the inlet!  Besides their boats making giant wakes, and them running back and forth across the inlet... they were dropping passengers and the lines in total harms way.  I used to think it was only the tourists that were disrespectful come the summer, but apparently I'm wrong and have no idea what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I was great to get some hours on the motor for the break in period and will be looking forward to opening that baby up and heading out looking for some bigger quarry. 

Thanks for reading!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Change of Plans - From Bluefin to Bass (6/26)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 08:29:22 PM »
Nice breeding colors on the bass. Crazy drop in water temp, though I guess that cool water was looming close by.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 04:01:51 AM »
After being so excited about the water hitting 68.5 last week, I was really bummed it dropped almost 5 degrees in two days.  Looks like you guys made the best of it, thanks for sharing
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 09:32:15 AM »
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)