Author Topic: Halibut Hunting 11/16  (Read 1547 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Halibut Hunting 11/16
« on: November 16, 2021, 03:50:50 PM »
Went to some shoreline behind the LB breakwall today to fish the 2 hours before low tide. Switched out the original drags for fresh carbon drags on the Calcutta and cleaned out the sand that it took on during the fight with that leo.

20 minutes in I hooked something in between twitches of the LC. Started playing it like a fish until I saw it was weeds.

10 minutes later I hooked something in between twitches of the LC, dead weight again, and then after a few seconds I got head shakes. Big wide head shakes. Seemed very different from a dang ol shark. 60bpm on the bounces. Then I saw water flumes from the tail on the surface, several feet apart as it moved parallel to the beach. Not losing line but not even a chance of turning it. Then it came unbuttoned. Pretty sure that was quite easily a 30"+ fish. Heart broken but also just flat-out impressed.

Kept casting in the spot and 5 casts later I had a blowup in 6" of water by probably a sub-legal. Missed connection.

Nothing else so I kept moving. Nothing for a while and then after another hour I had something hit the LC 3 times between twitches but it never connected.

Nothing else. Just a report to say that fishing for halibut isn't as boring as I used to believe.

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Halibut Hunting 11/16
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 05:00:57 AM »
Sounds Cool! I'm going to have to try Long Beach while the OC beached are closed.

Went for a business dinner by the Manhatten Beach Peir last night. I checked out the beach at high tide and was pleasantly surprised to find an abundance of sand crabs. I may have to go there to see if I can make some bait.

-Keith

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 05:12:18 AM »
Ugh, not much worse than knowing/seeing you have something nice on and then the line goes slack.  I have no doubt we'll be seeing that 30" from you here in the near future.

Thanks for the morning read Jeremy.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 06:45:54 AM »
 The LC keeps it interesting 8) 8)