Author Topic: Phucking hate pbucket!!  (Read 8182 times)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Phucking hate pbucket!!
« on: June 28, 2017, 09:51:36 PM »
They want to charge me $399/yr to be able to have 3rd party hosting. Lame! I should have never updated the app! Now they're blocking all my pics I've previously uploaded. Now using smugmug. So far so good...
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Phucking hate pbucket!!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 10:59:16 PM »
Imgur works well also.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 05:58:37 AM »
They are trying to get me to pay $2.99 a month just to go ad free.  I'm just about there to try something new.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 07:50:35 AM »
I like Flickr.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 08:06:59 AM »
I like Flickr.

I have Flickr, but too dumb to figure out how to post photos on this forum.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 08:24:17 AM »

They haven't done anything like that to me yet, but I keep hearing terrible things about them.  I've had an account there forever. Perhaps its time to download my old photos just in case they pull some shenanigans? 

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 09:31:12 PM »
I keep pushing Eric Castro's site. It's free and very simple - http://www.photos.inherentlydifferent.com/index.php?/category/16

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 05:27:48 AM »

I spoke too soon.  They blocked me yesterday evening.  I've got over a decade's worth of fishing pictures on there.

It's a raid on fishing websites!

I'm confused.  If they don't want you to post your pictures on websites, why do they readily supply the IMG and HTML tags for copying and pasting on websites?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 07:18:02 AM »

I spoke too soon.  They blocked me yesterday evening.  I've got over a decade's worth of fishing pictures on there.

It's a raid on fishing websites!

I'm confused.  If they don't want you to post your pictures on websites, why do they readily supply the IMG and HTML tags for copying and pasting on websites?

They are now Ransomware.  I've sent the following email to them:

I own and run a fishing website and promote the use of photobucket for sharing pictures.  No longer...

I am encouraging the members to switch over to other free sharing sites, erase pictures and delete accounts from Photobucket.  I told them it will be a pain to do so, but be well worth it in the end.  There are plenty of other sites these days to use.
I am also looking at all of your advertisers and adding them to a list on my website of products and companies not to purchase from.  I will also be putting together a letter and list of advertiser emails for all of my members to send this letter.

The outrage I've been seeing against Photobucket on the web will give me enough motivation to now "fix" as many things as possible on my website.  I can only hope the backlash of this move is worse than you guys could have figured.

-Latimeria

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 07:21:08 AM »
Flickr might require a little bit more work, but the benefits far outweigh the costs.

Starting from the photo you want to post:

Click the curved arrow icon, third from the bottom right.  Choose BBCode and then the size you want.  Try out the different sizes and see how they fit in your post here using Preview.  I usually use Medium 640 x ###.

Copy and paste the link here.  Get rid of all the stuff in square brackets other than img and /img.  If you don't get rid of the extra stuff you'll end up with some extra text to the right of the photo.  It's not a big deal, but I like to remove it.  Here's with the extra stuff:

Lake Sturgeon by ben.a.cantrell, on Flickr

Here's without:

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 08:17:55 AM »

Excellent e-mail, Tom.

Talk about holding people hostage.

The lack of notice thing bothers me. I did find an e-mail (in my junk mail) from them right about the time they blocked the pictures.

They say "ome features on your account have been disabled." Uh, yeah, like the single most-important feature and the only feature anyone cares about.

As examples of third-party posting they mention "another website" (pretty broad, huh?) "such as a forum, Etsy, eBay auction listings, a blog, etc." Well, that seems to cover pretty much everything. I'm gleaning that personal websites are not third-party hosting, but then why would they block Tom or other's who own the sites (scrib, etc.). It's your site, and you can't post on it? WTF!

Time to move on to ecastro's site or flickr . . .

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 08:29:36 AM »
Why are there lines through my last message? Now I feel like they're stalking me and crossing things out on the Internet!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 08:32:06 AM by mdcesq »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 08:52:29 AM »
Why are there lines through my last message? Now I feel like they're stalking me and crossing things out on the Internet!

I was wondering the same thing.  I bet they used "Special Charachters" so if people copied and pasted then that's what would happen.  Try copying to notepad or word pad, then recopying from that platform and put it on here to see if that works.  If it does, then that means they are trying to screw you on purpose and make it hard for you to show anything from them.

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 09:18:28 AM »

I tried to copy and past to Apple’s notes (similar to notepad, I think), recopy, and then repost here, and it was still lined-out.

Then I tried to re-type it within notes and it remained lined-out.

So this is my third, and final attempt, through a word processing program.

Here’s what they lined-out:

“They say ‘ome features on your account have been disabled.” Uh, yeah, like the single most-important feature and the only feature anyone cares about.

As examples of third-party posting they mention “another website” (pretty broad, huh?) “such as a forum, Etsy, eBay auction listings, a blog, etc.” Well, that seems to cover pretty much everything. I’m gleaning that personal websites are not third-party hosting, but then why would they block Tom or others who own the sites (scrib, etc.). It’s your site, and you can’t post on it? WTF!

Time to move on to ecastro’s site or flickr . . .

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 09:20:12 AM »

Lined-out again, even typing the message myself.

Wow, I imagine some dorky computer dweeb sitting in a cubicle in Silicon Valley with a big grin on his face, thinking, "ha, ha, got 'em."