Author Topic: Mother's Day Miracle (5/14)  (Read 2533 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Mother's Day Miracle (5/14)
« on: May 14, 2023, 10:44:18 AM »
Well, not quite.  I had a few open hours in the morning to fish before taking my girls to brunch for Mother's Day.  I was determined to get a corvina on the topwater,

I get down to a damn bike race that closed the island, so I had to park quite a way from where I wanted to fish, but did so and took the hike.

I made about 300 casts and had 3 pops on my spook in that time!  Nothing stuck, and I'm suspect that one of them might have been a needlefish.  The other two seemed more like my target species. 
I switched from the spook, to a jerk bait.  I made about 50 casts on that and all it did was grab every loose piece of salad in the water.

I pretty much admitted defeat and was walking back to the truck, when I saw all of these ~12" halibut slamming and flopping on bait!  It was pretty awesome to see!  I clipped on an underspin since it was about the size of the bait in the water and on the first cast, it went ripping out!  Now my heart was pumping a little thinking I might have gotten momma in the middle of that mix!

After about 10 minutes, I got my first view of it... sideways halibut... Ugh..

Hook was right where they usually are on a butterfly ray and about a few inches from the mouth and right near the nose...

10# test so I didn't want to pull on the line, but finally got get to shore.  Whew!  What a big one and especially for my bay bass rod!

That damn underspin was hooked good, but here what this monster went for....

Anyway, I decided that was the last cast, so watched her swim off and I was on the road to get home and cleaned up from all that toxic mud it threw all over me!  LOL

Thanks for reading and until next tide!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Mother's Day Miracle (5/14)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2023, 02:40:02 PM »
Wow! Huge butterfly ray. Looked well over 3ft across. Nice catch. At least you got to pull on something. And on 10 lb test no less.

-Keith

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 03:28:34 PM »
Wow! Huge butterfly ray. Looked well over 3ft across. Nice catch. At least you got to pull on something. And on 10 lb test no less.

-Keith

Yeah, she was definitely in the 40's.  I think I've pretty much got the big 3 rays all on my small bass gear now while casting lures.  :D

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 07:58:54 PM »
I know the smell of the toxic mud all too well  ;D

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2023, 04:03:14 AM »
I clipped on an underspin since it was about the size of the bait in the water and on the first cast, it went ripping out!  Now my heart was pumping a little thinking I might have gotten momma in the middle of that mix!

That must have got your heart pumping!!
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 11:59:31 AM »
That is wild.

Now you got me thinking maybe I should count the pelagic ray I hooked on the nose with a cedar plug last summer for my species list.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 06:04:26 PM »
That is wild.

Now you got me thinking maybe I should count the pelagic ray I hooked on the nose with a cedar plug last summer for my species list.

That's good in my book.