Author Topic: Three Day Report 10/15-18/2021  (Read 3038 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Three Day Report 10/15-18/2021
« on: October 19, 2021, 09:06:02 AM »
 Once again I was invited on a long standing 3 day charter on the Pacific Voyager organized by my friend Tommy. It's a popular trip and I don't always make the list but it's a must go when I do.

Lots of anticipation as the date drew near. Didn't know what was in store fishing wise but knew it would be a fun trip.

Started off with the traditional potluck.

Lots of great food.

Captain arrived and gave us our options. Things were hampered by the weather early in the week. It came down to Tanner Bank for big bluefin where the high boat the day before had 9 fish, or head south for yellowfin to a new group of fish that had been spotted with good fishing.

We opted for south. Way south it turns out.

Motored all night in smooth seas for the best first nights sleep I've ever had on a sportboat. Motored until late the next morning to reach the zone and began trolling for tuna.

It was beautiful weather and the hours of trolling were interrupted by occasional skipjack strikes that never turned into a bite. One strike resulted in 3 dorado on bait. Finally near sundown we had two stops for 2 nice yellowfin on the jigs.

That night, after a beautiful sunset and great dinner, we were invited to release some paper lanterns in memory of one of the passengers brother who passed recently. It was a new experience for me to see these and a nice tribute to his memory.

The second day of the trip was much different with jig strikes turning into bait stops and pandemonium. The key was chasing down porpoise and the tuna bit as we trolled through them. When the fish movede on we would chase down the porpoise again and catch fish again. All day long. It was a great day.

When I say way south, I mean we were about 10 miles or less north of Isla San Martin which is around 160 miles from SD.

The refreshing jello shots provided a nice break between bites.  Thanks Shari.

Lots of things land on the boat,but this is a first for me.

After dinner we began the long uphill run towards home and an area that had some paddies with YT and maybe dorado left on them. It was a bumpy ride and all day as the weather turned on us.

We trolled and looked for paddies in lumpy seas until about 1 when we had to run for home.  One paddy of the few we found was holding and we made 3 drifts for about 30 rat yellows. That was pretty much it for the day. A fre jumping marlin on the way in provided soe entertainment as it cleared the water 6-7 times as we passed.

We had a couple slow days, but Charlie and the crew worked their asses off to find us fish and they did. I don't think anyone has any complaints.

Some random shots.

Thanks Tommy, the crew of the PV, and my fellow passengers for a great trip.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Three Day Report 10/15-18/2021
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 09:24:13 AM »
WOW!  That's a long trip south! 

Great trip Steve and glad to see everyone catch!  Not a bad haul at all!  I'm bummed I couldn't get down there for the return and see everyone.

Also, was that a Bat under the life ring???
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 09:41:59 AM »
 Yep, a bat. I picked the wrong thumbnail. The other one you could see its face.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 10:06:23 AM »
That’s a long run, almost as far as Guadalupe. Double checked the counts and everybody going home with 10 YFT sounds nice. Looks like an excellent trip.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 12:30:50 PM »
 Great trip, nice of them to pay tribute 8) You guys cleaned up on the fish, full freezers for all 8) 8)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 12:45:00 PM »
Oh my gosh that's a lot of fish in the pic towards the end!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 01:20:05 PM »
Oh my gosh that's a lot of fish in the pic towards the end!

Honestly, we’ve had more. Or maybe the fish were just bigger. It is pretty impressive to see them all in one place.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 01:43:08 PM »
Nice my friend.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 09:37:08 AM »
Glad you got to go Steve, and super stoked you all caught fish.  Great pictures, thanks for sharing
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 03:32:13 PM »
Looked like a great time!! Would love to the other pic of the bat. Thanks again for yft!

Tom, it'd be cool to get a PSoul charter of our own???
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)