Author Topic: New First Mate  (Read 1354 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
New First Mate
« on: April 04, 2022, 09:00:36 PM »
Took my lady out for her first time on the Mosquito yesterday.

She worked late Saturday night so didn't want an early start. I requested 10am start and she said okay. She arrived at my house at 11:15, wind was already up. Could have backed out but I wanted to show why we like an early start with small boats.

Gave her a rundown on safety equipment in case I were to drop dead. Out of Huntington by noon and greeted with the start of white caps and chop. Not terrible but not cute. Metered some bass by an oil rig and showed her the sonar. Ran by some sea lions, found some dolphins, drove down to HB Pier and then set out an LC 130 behind a 6oz torpedo and trolled between 2 and 4mph as we meandered our way into the ever increasing chop. Ate fruit and cheese and crackers and had a nice time. Never saw any bait, was kinda hoping to get into a mackerel frenzy with her but it'll have to wait. Wind really picked up and the ride got very, very wet. Got back to the harbor about 4pm, no bites. This was more of a trial cruise than a fishing venture though.

She handled it all very naturally! She's not really into the fishing side of it but enjoys the boating, so I'll be sprinkling her into my trips.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: New First Mate
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 09:08:01 PM »
 She will appreciate the calm stuff after that trip ;D Always nice to have the other half with you even if you aren't fishing 8) 8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 05:53:47 AM »
Excellent Jeremy!  Sounds like a great date day on the boat complete with cheese and crackers, especially if she wasn't bothered by the wind and white caps.

Funny as you said "in case I drop dead"...  I tell my wife and daughter where everything is in case I fall overboard or drop dead, and they just get really mad at me.  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 12:33:41 PM »
Do not be surprised if she wants a bigger boat!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)