Author Topic: Change of Scenery (6/14)  (Read 3375 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Change of Scenery (6/14)
« on: June 15, 2016, 06:10:51 AM »
Since the surf conditions are continually worsening in both height, current and weeds... we decided to make a short run to the bay instead.  It would be nice to leave at an early hour anyway since that 4:14am work alarm comes quick after a night of sharking.

I decided to bring one shark/ray rod and instead of a second shark/ray rod, I brought down the bass rod.  Lots of bait swimming around and lots of dead tuna crabs on the beach.  First cast and I'm hooked up!  I lose it in the eel grass, but it definitely felt bassy.

Second cast and bam!  Halibut! Only 15"-16", but it's been quite a while since I caught one on the bass gear.

My next 11 casts and I get bit 10 more times.  Mostly by small "Pee-pee" bass, but I did manage some 9" or possibly 10" monster spotties in the mix.  LOL

I ended up with 6 bass which made for a good hour of casting.

Our big rods were barely getting sniffed.  I saw a halibut jump out of the water a few times and ran over with my rod.  Second cast and Bam!  I got the greedy sucker!

Well, it was 8:15 and we called it quits.  Normally, we are just getting started at 8:15 for shark fishing, but it felt good to get home at a reasonable hour.  Oh yeah, one last note.  The only time the big rod bounced was when Steve set the 15 minute timer and literally 2 minutes before got bit.  Nothing came out of it, but it was just fun to note.

Fishing the bay seems too relaxing compared to the surf.  It's easy to fall asleep in your chair if you're not careful.  LOL

Thanks for reading and until next tide...
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Change of Scenery (6/14)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 07:47:34 AM »
Sounds like it was a fun change of pace!
Cool hali pics!

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:26:12 AM »
Nice change of pace, always fun to do something different.  Love the first hali pic

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 08:38:01 AM »
always fun small rod fishing
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 12:22:34 PM »
Yeah, the bay is really easy after fishing the surf. Glad to see you got some action with all of the tuna crabs hanging around.

2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 05:34:57 PM »
I Impressed mostly by the quality of the pics. They're gorgeous! Are you enhancing the color with some kind of editor app before you post them up?

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 06:00:55 PM »
Awesome pictures Tom, absolutely awesome  :D :D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 08:53:54 PM »

X2

Were those taken with your camera or phone?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:22:08 PM by Fish Jerk »

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 10:29:51 PM »
At least something bite for you.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 06:04:43 AM »

X2

Were those taken with your camera or phone?

The new Google Phone (Nexus).  I swear those pics are better than any camera I've ever owned.  I just ordered (or hope to get for Father's Day) a nice waterproof camera as using my phone for pics over/near the water are getting me nervous. 

When one of my techy co-workers told me the camera on the Nexus phones were out of this world (even on night shots), I really didn't know what to expect.  After seeing all those great shark shots in the total dark that were taken on my phone, I can only hope my next camera takes shots that good!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 06:06:57 AM »
I Impressed mostly by the quality of the pics. They're gorgeous! Are you enhancing the color with some kind of editor app before you post them up?

They usually come out that crisp, but once in a while I play around with the basic edit tools on the phone.  Honestly, most of the time just hitting the "Auto" button is more than you need.  I like the pics just as they are taken.