Author Topic: Mountain Trouting (11/5)  (Read 1987 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Mountain Trouting (11/5)
« on: November 05, 2016, 07:57:33 PM »
Well after some deliberation because of the big surf and lack of reports anywhere, decided to head up to Cuyamaca.  I talked to Steve and he was ready for a rematch after last weeks skunking.

It was much colder and more packed than last week, but we got some prime real estate to start our revenge mission.  The sunrise was just perfect.

Steve stopped to get some garlic night crawlers on the way because the old broad last week got one on them.  I think she was probably snickering and pulling a fast one on Squatch.

I pinched and inflated a crawler before using the secret trout sauce and bombing it out there.  A few minutes later and I saw the telltale tap on my line.

To be fair, I thought it was another Bluegill, but it finallt realized it was hooked by the time it got 20 feet to shore.  First trout of the season and my first Jess' Ranch, Ruby Red Bow!

We were then swamped with yelling kids and a grandpa that was walking around with 10 inches of crack showing the entire time.  Steve and I needed to get away from the chaos and we took a long hike to get to some quiet/chill beach and away from all the nut jobs by the ramp.

I balled up some powerbait and made a cast. I just barely set my rod in the rod holder when it doubled over!  Trout number 2 on!
This one fought much better than the first and I was now up two trout on Steve!  Yes!  lol

Steve kept using his clown baits.  Purple and chartreuse powerbait with a pink tailed worm.  He decides to make a lob cast and within a few minutes he was on and made sure everyone knew about it!  lol
Seriously though, I know that was a load off his back as it was tough fishing up there the past few weeks.

Squatch's JP trout.

Well, there were lots of funny stories that happened today, but this was the bread and butter of the trip.  I can't wait until they start stocking down here.  That's quite a haul up the mountain just for a trout or two.

Thanks for reading.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Mountain Trouting (11/5)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 09:45:17 PM »
Great read.

I sure miss those things.

I was raised fishing for trout in high mountain lakes.

Those are some good looking ones for being farm raised.

Don't blame you for moving due to the loud mouthed kids and butt crack boy.

Your best big boy wild trout in high mountain lakes are about 6 hrs north. Absolute peace and wildlife up there. I can really help you out if you ever dicide to make the trip.

Edit:

Then you have pyramid lake up there with some insane large cutthroat 8)

« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 09:49:32 PM by Eric H »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 03:33:32 AM »
Never used the pink tail. bet it would have killed.

Glad I got a trout finally. The guy with a bucket full gave me a tip for next time.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 08:36:13 PM »
Sweet daytime date night  ;)
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin