Author Topic: Hunting Tuna 8/20-21  (Read 15965 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Hunting Tuna 8/20-21
« on: August 23, 2015, 07:30:40 AM »
Took a day off work to chase tuna with a couple friends. We heard bait was limited at MB so we decided to get there early. I left the house at 2 to make Jon's place by 3.

Loaded the boat and we were on the road at 330.

Made our way to Dana and launched the boat, then put it back on the trailer and went to fuel up. Oops.

It was early, what can you say?

Final launch at 415 and we got in line at the bait barge. Only 6 ahead of us, and the bait was 8-9" dines.

There was already a little breeze, but we didn't expect to see whitecaps at 5am outside the inlet. Blech.

Headed northwest and saw a group of about 4 boats close together, did a driveby and saw they were working a huge paddy. We gave them their space and kept looking.

That was the only paddy we saw for a couple hours more until we came upon another group of boats working a paddy. Like 15 boats. We saw a couple bendos, watched for a few to get the lay of the land and found a spot to drift down on it. It was cool that everyone was working together to get their fish and not shut down the bite.

I popped a rally beer for luck and offered a drink to my friends of the sea.

Well, it worked, sort of. My friend David got bit and pulled in a small YFT 15lb or so.

Made another drift and I got bit this time.

The whole time we drifted the paddy we were dropping a line of chunk baits. Small dorado were taking them right off the corner. Except the ones with hooks in them. We watched them swim up and turn away countless times.

Finally Jon got one to go.

I took a pic but won't show it out of respect for my friend.

We were one of the last two boats on the paddy when a guy from the other boat jumped in with a speargun. No big deal, the bite was off and they were on the other side, so we kept fishing. We didn't get another bite so it was easy to move on when the spearfishing charter boat showed up.

We went bouncing around looking for paddies again. The wind layed down a little which was nice, but picked back up before long.

With no luck finding paddies we decided to head in. We passed a group of boats on a drift that had birds working the area as well and decided to to try a soak on the way home. Slid in, started the chunking and waited.

Glad we did. Jon ended up with the best fish of the trip.

Back to the barn, changed clothes and headed out for the opening of Bay City Brewery near Sport Arena.  Had a few beers, some BBQ and went back to Jon's to have a couple whiskies and crash out for saturday's run.

Saturday's conditions were very different, starting with an hour wait for bait at MB barge. Glad we got there when we did because when we left the line was beyond the bridge. I think the last three boats in line were still on the trailer at the ramp.

Beautiful seas made for easy going. We ran over 100 miles looking for paddies. Found a couple, but no players.

Joined a fleet and soaked bait for one screaming bite that chewed me off. Light line with a small hook. Got me bit, but couldn't seal the deal.

Headed home early since the captain had a gala to attend for work and needed a nap and time to change into his tux.

Best part of the two days fishing with my friends was dropping my tuna off to my adopted Grandmother. When she heard I was coming with a fish she got me a huge tray of lumpia and another of pancit. When she saw the fish she was so happy I saw her eyes tear up just a little. Gave her a hug, told her I loved her and hit the road eating fresh hot crispy lumpia all the way.

Not the best catching, but I had two great days with friends on the water.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 07:41:48 AM by sasquatch »

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting Tuna 8/20-21
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 09:08:55 AM »
Nice off shore sesh squatch! Saw the boat parade early Saturday in MB while I was working :/

Looks like the offering helped ;) but don't be ashamed of that delicious sculpin and show off the label next time B)

Congrats on the tooner el kookooee :P

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 10:21:29 AM »
No need to show the label.
#notsomekookthathastohashtageverythingtogetfreesh!t
#ifigetitfreethoughyouwillseethelabel
#doesitcountifistolemysonsbeersoididgetitforfree

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 11:20:15 AM »
No need to show the label.
#notsomekookthathastohashtageverythingtogetfreesh!t
#ifigetitfreethoughyouwillseethelabel
#doesitcountifistolemysonsbeersoididgetitforfree
OMG, I about lost it. Lol

Nice trips Steve.  Glad you got one and it looked pretty decent. Time to work on the Boma now. I got her ready for the family trip.

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 11:45:33 AM »
Glad you are taking the family as guinea pigs instead of me.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 12:09:42 PM »
Quality days off.  8)

I don't even get lumpia or pancit when I drop off fish these days. But somehow find wads of cash in the kiddo's pockets.  :P

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 10:12:39 PM »
Looked a little bumpy out there. Fresh caught tuna and some lumpia and pancit to go... hot damn!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 10:16:19 PM »
Nice ...

Went out Saturday .. got 2 ..  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Shouldn't have text you ...  got jinxed >:( >:(

We had fish boiling around the boat all day!!! ... Felt like June again ...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:17:55 PM by WheresMyBeer »

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 08:04:35 AM »
Nice going Steve. All the YFT look like clones of each other. (about 25#)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)