Author Topic: Halibuts And More In NC AM Report 8/16/15  (Read 1488 times)

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Halibuts And More In NC AM Report 8/16/15
« on: August 17, 2015, 12:08:40 PM »
Had an hour to fish before work and decided to hit the sand for some fishing.

Started in the dark and as I was walking out I saw a decent sized Bean in the skinny. Kept walking out to the spot and started casting. Conditions were good. Light wind and not to much salad to speak of. Waves were up a little though but not to bad. All of a sudden I turn to my right and shine my head lamp. It looked like a huge Corbina or white Sea Bass I couldn't tell but this was one chunky fish! Thought to myself this could be a good morning!

Just before light a get a nice little hit on a pancake. Here she is. Not much of a fight.

As soon as first light hit I was getting strikes all over the place. I get a monster hit and the fish was on. Really hard shakes and started taking drag. This one was going to be a battle. The line did have a little salad on it but about 25 seconds in she pops off! Arghhhhhhh!! Shaking my head I continue casting in disbelief. Was it my hooks? Should I have changed them out last night. Would that have made the difference? Two casts in I get another hit! Decent sized that seemed legal. Boom, that one pops off.  Really? Another cast another hook up and yup you guessed it another one that popped off. Stayed positive through this and kept casting as time was running out. Ended getting this BSP

Perch

Another cast after that and another hook up! Could tell it was decent hit!

About a 20.5 inch Halibut.

Gonna try again tomorrow and get that big dog. ANd yes I will have new hooks ready to go! Good morning on the sand before work. Still thinking about that drag puller though. Tonight I'll forget about and start fresh tomorrow.

Thanks for reading and good luck out there.

Joel  8)

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
Re: Halibuts And More In NC AM Report 8/16/15
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 01:37:43 PM »
Awesome job man, definitely a great start to the day. I'll be out in morning lookin for some legal butts too ;)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Halibuts And More In NC AM Report 8/16/15
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 07:04:05 AM »
You need to slap a sticker on that lid!  lol

Nice going boss, keeping the halibut dream alive!  8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.