Author Topic: Corvina And White Sea Bass At The Goon AM Report 8/15/15  (Read 1927 times)

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Corvina And White Sea Bass At The Goon AM Report 8/15/15
« on: August 15, 2015, 10:33:40 AM »
Where do I begin? What a great morning to be out fishing. It first started when I hit the wet sand on the way to the spot. Something big was in the shallows and I spooked it and made a huge splash and took off. Wasn't a mullet either. Wonder if it was a Halibut?

Got a new reel since my Sahara finally bit the dust. To much corrosion. Replaced it with a Shimano Sedona C5000 Using 12# Izorline XXX. I started fishing with the Zara Spook. I was after some top water Corvina strikes.

Conditions were just great. No wind, slow incoming tide. While I was fishing in the dark, I looked up at the sky and this huge fireball lit up the sky. It was pretty cool to see. Took first light before I got any strikes, but it was worth the wait.

Target Acquired! 

Shortfin Corvina top water.

Missing a fang?

Quick couple of pictures and it was Released. Release went well, and she swam off pretty strong.

Decided to try a new area and I changed it up a little to the 3" BH Sexy Smelt covered in Uni-butter. 3/16 Owner round hook. Soon as we arrive to the new spot an Osprey dive bombs the water, and at first it didn't seem like she got the fish. After a couple of flaps she's out of the water with what looked like Spotted Bay Bass. Breakfast served. Really cool to see that happen.

Fished for about 20 minutes and got snagged once and lost it. Retie another one, and the first cast I feel a solid wham! I could tell it was a decent sized WSB, by the way she was fighting. She inhaled the BH and the Owner hooks did there job nicely!

White Sea Bass

Really like the colors on these fish.

photo op

quick couple of pics and another careful release.

Ray managed a couple Spotted Bay Bass, and then we decided its time to eat some breakfast.

Nice fishing with you Ray, and until next tide.

Thanks for reading and good luck out there.

Joel

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
Re: Corvina And White Sea Bass At The Goon AM Report 8/15/15
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 11:12:52 AM »
Nice joining you man, was a fun session. Hopefully get a anothee soon tho. I'm jealous of the corvina. Still on my list, hopefully not for long tho

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 12:11:47 PM »
Well damn!  That is one mighty fine morning session!  Cool to get to see a big fireball in the sky also!  I saw a beauty while lobster fishing this past season!

Bravo!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 09:17:05 PM »
That is a nice morning's worth of croaked catching. Was the crowd light or was the bucket brigade already there that early?

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 10:02:17 AM »
That is a nice morning's worth of croaked catching. Was the crowd light or was the bucket brigade already there that early?

No one there. I was very surprised! It was a great day!