Author Topic: Slim Pickings (8/4)  (Read 2552 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Slim Pickings (8/4)
« on: August 05, 2015, 07:26:38 AM »
My buddy is out from VA Beach and had some time to get out fishing, but he only brought some small gear to look for the usual bass, butts and vina.  We tried for bass and got bumped a few times, but the wind was wicked and in our face!  We made a few moves for nada before heading to the Barefoot Bar to get inspiration from the "River" that runs through it.  After seeing some big bass, corvine, yellowtail and everything else that swims in the bay, we went to spot number 3 and even put out some meat rods in hopes for a leopard.  We finally found some bass also as we picked up a handful and missed twice as many.  It's been a long time since I went small rod fishing.

Finally one of the meat rods went off and Andrew had something actually pull back.  A little typical male Bat.

Squatch took off and Andrew and I took off to spot number 4 to hunt for Vina.  WTF was going on last night?  The bay looked like a weekend and people were everywhere!!!!

We had a good start with vina in the area thrashing bait and had some missed blow ups, but just then 100 kayaks run right over where we were fishing and then 10 minutes after that the fireworks started bombing the area.  Needless to say, the bite went poo poo and we just called it the night.

Oh well, not much going on, but he just loved trying new things and jumping all around the bay looking for critters to play.  I for one CAN'T WAIT for the tourists to go home and the kids to go back to school.  Summertime crowds are just not my thing anymore.... if they ever were.

Until next tide!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Slim Pickings (8/4)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 10:07:30 AM »
 Good to see Andrew again. It took me awhile to get the hang of the bass thing again.

Too bad you guys didn't get into the vina, but I'm glad he had fun.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 11:02:08 AM »
Kuddos making it out with tough "conditions".
I can't wait for the cooler weather for the surf sharking to pick up! Just after I can make a few trips offshore ;)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 02:24:37 PM »
Summertime crowds are just not my thing anymore.... if they ever were.

I'm with you Tom, didn't like crowds when I was a kid.............like 'em even less now  >:(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 08:57:09 PM »
Similar results for Tinkerbell and I last night in Troys patrol area... only no kooks or swimmers, or fish, every bait got bit, but none stuck, good times with the misses, and troy and some big eyes B)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 09:34:50 PM »
Summer crowds and big surf... all I don't like about summer.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 05:16:58 AM »
Nice report, Tom. Got me thinking to get back out there and try some Vina fishing.  8)

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 09:35:30 AM »

Yeah, can't wait for the summer crowds to leave.

How do you keep the bat ray from stinging you while unhooking it?  Do you just grab the tail like the pictured angler or step on it with your surf bootie/sandal? 

I've never targeted them, obviously, and they usually are not common incidental catches on the fly or metal.  Always wondered though, how you guys stay safe from the stinger.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 10:17:39 AM »

Yeah, can't wait for the summer crowds to leave.

How do you keep the bat ray from stinging you while unhooking it?  Do you just grab the tail like the pictured angler or step on it with your surf bootie/sandal? 

I've never targeted them, obviously, and they usually are not common incidental catches on the fly or metal.  Always wondered though, how you guys stay safe from the stinger.

Mostly turn them on their back to pull the hook.

I did get stung through my Xtra Tuffs when I gave one a little push out to deeper water. User error. Won't happen again.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 08:59:17 AM »
Dog days of summer. Don't worry, football is coming, tourists will go home and the big boys and girls will return.
Anybody have an emergency beer?