Author Topic: Paying Dues 11/19/15  (Read 1711 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Paying Dues 11/19/15
« on: November 19, 2015, 09:17:38 PM »
 My driveby beach check looked so tempting this afternoon, and it was mid 70's at the pad when I got home from my second trip to SD today, I just had to take advantage.

Loaded the gear and some firewood and headed down to a local beach. It was dark when I arrived so I skipped my usual recon glimpse and started to lug everything down to the water.

When I got there I was bummed to see the sand was gone and a 20 foot wide cobble field up and down the beach right at the waters edge. I found a sandyish spot behind it and got a bait out. Then I started a fire to keep warm and pass the time.

The dropping tide made it difficult to reach productive water. I could only go so far on the cobble with bare feet.

Surf was perfect, weeds were absent. I got one possible bite that loaded the rod like a big kelp stringer and pulled clicker for about 5 seconds. I hadn't pulled in even a single piece of eelgrass until then, and when I reeled up I had no bait, so I'm sure it was a bite, but never felt the fish.

Tide kept dropping so I split. Glad I took a shot.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
Re: Paying Dues 11/19/15
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 10:04:44 PM »
Slowly sounding better and better

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 11:30:16 PM »
Ugh! the dreaded cobble stone winter is fast approaching. Good getting out there though... away from the ankle pods.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 06:40:19 AM »
So is it almost wader time? 

Oh well, good try and thanks for the update on the conditions.  8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 10:25:24 AM »
So is it almost wader time? 

Oh well, good try and thanks for the update on the conditions.  8)

Totally wader time. I would have been 15yds closer to the water on my cast and my feet wouldn't still be sore today. Even though the fire is nice, it makes for more trips to the truck and the whole one side burning other side freezing thing.

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 01:26:16 PM »
Can't catch em from the couch squatch! Better luck next time! I need to invest in waders soon for sure...Thinking bout investing in the "pants only" style waders for the comfort factor.
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!