Author Topic: Bait size  (Read 2249 times)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Bait size
« on: June 07, 2017, 05:24:50 PM »
 I'm just wondering what size chunk of mac most of you use?
I'm usually cutting up macs that are 12 to 14 inches long, and using chunks that are a little smaller than my hand.
 In the little over a year that I've been doing this, I've only caught five sharks (all sevengills)  but they've all been over 80 inches long.
 Reading through the shark list, I've noticed that there are a lot more sharks in the 50 to 80 inch range then there are in the 80+ range.
 I'm wondering if I were to step down to smaller sizes of bait, would I catch more (but smaller) sharks? Or am I just in area that doesn't happen to have any in that smaller size range?

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
Re: Bait size
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 06:21:51 PM »
I've caught 5ft and 11ft sharks on the same size bait, I don't think it matters. 40" leopards frequently eat live macks off the pier and have much smaller mouths than 7's and soups. Although smaller baits cast easier and further so maybe you're just not in the "zone" as often as someone tossing smaller baits.
Keep it tight

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 07:35:14 PM »
Chad, I don't think we get as many juveniles in our VC spots. Other than the soups we got this year, I don't think I've heard of more than a handful of sevens less than 75" from VC. But the SD peeps have more of a year round grinner fishery than we seem to in VC. From my experience, we are past the peak VC grinner season, at least at our normal spots. I'd hazard a guess that you can still pull them out but you'll pull a lot of blanks especially with the 10pm parking restriction.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 08:04:24 PM »
Sometimes it seems somewhat ridiculous how small a bait I catch on. 8 foot range fish on a 1.5x2" chunk.

I feel like I should cast super far, but I know it isn't always necessary.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 08:26:13 AM »
I think you would call that a good problem to have Chad... :D

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 08:53:12 AM »
I think you would call that a good problem to have Chad... :D
Haha, I know, I'm not complaining, I love catching those beasts!  I'm just looking for ways to up the quantity as well.  Now that I'm fishing 2 rods, I'll probably start putting a large bait on one, and a small bait on the other.

Chad, I don't think we get as many juveniles in our VC spots. Other than the soups we got this year, I don't think I've heard of more than a handful of sevens less than 75" from VC. But the SD peeps have more of a year round grinner fishery than we seem to in VC. From my experience, we are past the peak VC grinner season, at least at our normal spots. I'd hazard a guess that you can still pull them out but you'll pull a lot of blanks especially with the 10pm parking restriction.

Ron, I was thinking that might be the case.  Especially at our usual spot.  Once it's confirmed that that spot is done for the year, I'm going to focus on other spots I have been looking at.

I've caught 5ft and 11ft sharks on the same size bait, I don't think it matters. 40" leopards frequently eat live macks off the pier and have much smaller mouths than 7's and soups. Although smaller baits cast easier and further so maybe you're just not in the "zone" as often as someone tossing smaller baits.

Chris, the idea that I might be able to get a smaller bait out further into the "zone" hadn't occurred to me.  Thanks for that idea!

Sometimes it seems somewhat ridiculous how small a bait I catch on. 8 foot range fish on a 1.5x2" chunk.
I feel like I should cast super far, but I know it isn't always necessary.

Steve, that's good proof that large bait isn't necessary!

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 11:13:00 AM »
I don't even know what the "zone" is anymore... im sure if your bait is in 3-10ft of water you're fine.
Keep it tight

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 02:16:37 PM »
I try to use at least a 5" chunk of thicker mackerel. The skinny 5-7" macks have always attracted the critters. If I have them I use them, but they'll stay in the freezer longer if I the larger macks available. And like Steve said, I feel like a super long cast is best. I know grinners come in close, but once I started increasing my casting distance I really started catching them. The bigger mack chunks also add weight which helps increase the distance I cast.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)