Author Topic: help a muskie guy catch sharks - Location and time stradegy  (Read 1481 times)

Niagara

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
I have a week of drinking with buddies and then 2 weeks of fishing.  I have a friend going to school and living in San Pedro.

I plan on fishing Redondo/ Manhattan a few days, Newport a few days, San Clemente over the weekend.  I'll see how the first week goes then plan the second week.

For my 2 weeks of fishing (May 13 to 27) I plan on going to piers to catch bait before sunset and fishing the beach all night until AM high tide or too many swimmers.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: help a muskie guy catch sharks - Location and time stradegy
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 07:09:36 PM »
 Sounds pretty good to me, though I might drink with friends for two weeks and fish one.

Check into beach hours. Some of those places may close at 10 or 11. BS, but I do know at least one person ticketed.

Not my part of town, so I can't offer much more.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 05:50:06 AM »
I'm not super familiar with that area either as I'm down in SD, but plenty of the LA guys have done well up there.  Any structure (reef, jetty, inlet, drop-off) that you could see is always a premier place to cast.  Also, check where the surfers are.  They are the reef bobbers.

Good luck and look forward to seeing some grinners!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 11:57:26 AM »
I've heard Rat Beach in Redondo has a healthy population of soupfins, I've never fished it or seen any evidence but there's a big kelp bed there so it makes sense. If you fish it I can confirm I've seen lots of quality Leos come from there!