Author Topic: Scoping beaches  (Read 6453 times)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Scoping beaches
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 10:32:03 AM »
Google Earth is my best friend too. Watch the elevations because what appears to be a promising location may butt right up against a bluff. As the tide comes in you may get pushed into a uncastable scenario and depending on tides/surf maybe a dangerous one.

You can drag the street view guy down and drop him on some beaches to see how thin it may be.

Surfline cams good to scope current conditions. Watch for salad mounds on the sand in addition to the surf and the amount of Moes in the water.

Jim

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 11:29:32 AM »
Google earth and street view for sure. Think I've even spotted the "Squatch" before ...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 01:12:18 PM by WheresMyBeer »

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 06:35:52 PM »
Great advice. I've looked at Google Earth and Maps, looked at NOAA charts up along the beach, read various fishing books and online blogs.
I believe having buddy connections is the best up to date information one can have.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 07:54:02 PM »
X2

Google earth.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 07:32:21 AM »
Do yourself a favor if you're scouting up this way...................if you see 6 or 7 of us fishing go somewhere else cause we suck!  Haven't heard a clicker in so long I forget what they sound like  :'(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 07:49:19 AM »
I google earthed one of my spots recently and saw a huge helicopter on the beach!?!?  That doesn't mean you have to start looking for a helicopter now, but just a weird thing GE caught on a photograph fly-by.

I also saw 5 guys on a beach in LA with a 200 lb bat on the beach, but not sure how long ago that pic was taken.   :o ;D
Sorry guys, I couldnt help it.   ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 08:25:48 AM »
Saw that helicopter when I sent my friend a pin drop on where to meet up for surf fishing (perch). Thought that was pretty funny.

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 09:23:20 AM »
The best way I found to locate spots was to stick a gps tracker on Tom's car while i was down there for the grinner gather. I have a comprehensive list of all his secret spots now. ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 09:25:57 AM »
The best way I found to locate spots was to stick a gps tracker on Tom's car while i was down there for the grinner gather. I have a comprehensive list of all his secret spots now. ;D

I don't even tell my wife where I fish as she can inadvertently spill the beans at work without realizing!  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 10:23:12 AM »

I don't even tell my wife where I fish as she can inadvertently spill the beans at work without realizing!  LOL

Better hope she doesn't frequent the boards B)

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 07:56:17 AM »
I saw that helicopter too. Very odd.