Author Topic: High hopes turned to humble pie... then pizza pie  (Read 6151 times)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
Re: High hopes turned to humble pie... then pizza pie
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 12:14:26 PM »
Swallow your pride and take your gear to a park and practice, practice and practice some more.

And remember ... break offs go pretty far ...
 ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 02:09:19 PM »
I still don't get the whole shock leader thing, especially with spinning gear. There's just no part of two different lines and a knot that I like, conventional or spinning. I tie my braid straight to the leader with a 5 turn double clinch and never have an issue. I also only use PowerPro braid. I've seen way too many guys have problems with other brands and they are all converts now.

You don't catch many big sharks in the surf though.  ;D
The shock leader is a must when targeting bigger sharks in the surf as I did not use one prior and had a total change of heart as I got better at hooking into them.

My learned lesson #1

I started with my long rod spinner and would use no shock leader when I first started.  I would occasionally cast a rig off into the big blue once in a while. Casting a Big bait and sinker in the surf exerts a big amount of force and if you have a weak spot in your line or a bail snaps shut on you, consider it gone.  I went with the conventional and used no shock leader at first, but would also occasionally cast off my rig and sinker as the big casts are sometimes way too much for premium 40#.  I do agree that I would prefer not to use any shock leader for spinning gear on the cast.  I do think that is more harmful than helpful for people getting used to casting the long rod, but lesson #2 is even a much more important reason to use it if targeting grinners.

Learned Lesson #2

Sharks are not slimy, nor want to beach themselves.  They roll in your line and tail swipe your line during the fight.  I've lost WAY TOO MANY sharks due to them cutting through the 40# during the fight.  I've been down that road way too often and found that 80# is the smallest I can go without it breaking.  I've used 60# shock leader to have it snap also when the sharks roll in it and have learned my lesson. Braid can't handle much abrasion like mono so that is even worse.

A quick 3rd note is you can grab the leader when assisting the shark onto shore at night.  You aren't walking in the waves and water in the dark knowing there is a set of choppers there trying to get you.  The 80 lb makes for a good life line when trying to coax the fish up the surf as well as making for good abrasion resistance if any structure is present.  As for the knot's, I have never had one give on me trying to break my rig off on structure let alone a fish.  Steve has even straightened hooks out before knot failure.

Hey, whatever works for each person is the right thing.  I can tell you with much confidence that you will lose more than you catch trying to bring in a soupie with just your braid tied to a steel leader rig.  Even from a pier, you are fishing very vertical, but the horizontal beach fishing for them causes many issues in my humble opinion.  I'll let Steve or anyone chime in with their views on the matter, but I won't be caught dead shark fishing from the beach without it.   :)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 03:03:52 PM »
 :)

Lost my first two Soups on busted 60lb mono shock. Tail swiped ... wasn't even on structure ...  >:(

Caught my first soup when I changed up to 80lb

Lesson learned   :-[ :P ;)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 05:10:35 PM »
I don't use a shock leader. Don't need one.

I do, however, need an abrasion leader, and am not confident under 80lbs. I should probably change it more often than I do, but I haven't learned that lesson well enough yet.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 05:14:23 PM »
Oh yeah, I use conventional so have no opinion on spinning gear.

Also, I use solid braid, spliced to hollow, loop to loop connected to a wind on leader of hollow braid spliced to mono. Has its down side, but everything does.