Author Topic: #6, 7 & 8  (Read 3064 times)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
#6, 7 & 8
« on: May 08, 2018, 10:21:50 PM »
Talked Tony into making the drive north with me, we're both glad we did.  On the way up Tony kept saying "this is a long drive, I hope we don't get skunked". Got on the sand around 4:30 and within 15 minutes I hooked up.  Handed the rod to Tony because he's never caught one before and it promptly dropped off.  Withing 2 minutes of him handing me my rod back his goes, and he put his first one on the sand, a 89" male. This was the first shark I've tailed solo, quite the experience. Chad showed up around 5:15 and set up a little south of us, always good to see him.  Shortly Tony hooks up again, this time landing a 96" male.  Chad does the sand hand duty and we return it to the water.  Less than 30 minutes later Tony hooks up again, and puts a 88" female on the sand.  At this point I was done handing my rod to him, he's caught his share. While Chad was putting it back in the water my rod hooks up and I put a small male on the sand, maybe 70".  We'd been there less than 3 hours and got 5 solid bites and landed 4.  Chad had to leave and Tony and I put out new bait (thanks Chad).  Less than an hour later my rod goes off again, resulting in another 89" male.  We decided to call it at 8:00, but we both got bit a few minutes till so we decided on 8:15.  I hook up again and this one broke the shock leader.  Now we decide on 8:45, not wanting to leave.  At about 8:40 my rod goes again and it takes off north.  I told Tony to grab a headlamp and pliers, forgot the phone.  I can't believe you guys do this at night, something about being in knee deep water in the dark didn't set well with me.  We ended up cutting the leader in about 18" of water and sent it back out.  SCREW THAT, I feel much safer when I can see what I'm doing.  All in all we got bit or briefly hooked up close to a dozen times, resulting in 6 on the sand.  I was kind of bummed we farmed about half our hits, but Tony reminded me a pro ball player would love to bat 500  ;D

Chad and I measured the shark at 96" with this arch and open mouth, it wouldn't straighten out.  May have been closer to 100"

Like they say, better lucky than good!!

Last of the incoming, peak and the outgoing............   mackerel
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 12:26:39 PM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: #6, 7 & 8
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 10:38:59 PM »
Whoa Verne!! All of a sudden you're killing it and you just passed up Josh! Kicking a$$!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 10:59:04 PM »
Hell yeah.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 11:14:44 PM »
Hell yeah Verne! Squatch and I couldn't even buy a grinner bite tonight.
Congrats boss!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BSE209

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 01:27:45 PM »
That was cool to watch !

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 10:38:46 AM »
Dude ;D
Anybody have an emergency beer?

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 10:43:45 AM »
Congrats on an awesome session! Glad to see you putting time in with the long rod.

2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 07:54:24 AM »
Talked Tony into making the drive north with me, we're both glad we did.  On the way up Tony kept saying "this is a long drive, I hope we don't get skunked". Got on the sand around 4:30 and within 15 minutes I hooked up.  Handed the rod to Tony because he's never caught one before and it promptly dropped off.  Withing 2 minutes of him handing me my rod back his goes, and he put his first one on the sand. This was the first shark I've tailed solo, quite the experience. Chad showed up around 5:15 and set up a little south of us, always good to see him.  Shortly Tony hooks up again, this time landing a 96" male.  Chad does the sand hand duty and we return it to the water.  Less than 30 minutes later Tony hooks up again, and puts a 88" female on the sand.  At this point I was done handing my rod to him, he's caught his share. While Chad was putting it back in the water my rod hooks up and I put a small male on the sand, maybe 70".  We'd been there less than 3 hours and got 5 solid bites and landed 4.  Chad had to leave and Tony and I put out new bait (thanks Chad).  Less than an hour later my rod goes off again, resulting in another 89" male.  We decided to call it at 8:00, but we both got bit a few minutes till so we decided on 8:15.  I hook up again and this one broke the shock leader.  Now we decide on 8:45, not wanting to leave.  At about 8:40 my rod goes again and it takes off north.  I told Tony to grab a headlamp and pliers, forgot the phone.  I can't believe you guys do this at night, something about being in knee deep water in the dark didn't set well with me.  We ended up cutting the leader in about 18" of water and sent it back out.  SCREW THAT, I feel much safer when I can see what I'm doing.  All in all we got bit or briefly hooked up close to a dozen times, resulting in 6 on the sand.  I was kind of bummed we farmed about half our hits, but Tony reminded me a pro ball player would love to bat 500  ;D

Chad and I measured the shark at 96" with this arch and open mouth, it wouldn't straighten out.  May have been closer to 100"

Like they say, better lucky than good!!

Last of the incoming, peak and the outgoing............   mackerel

Hey Verne, I'm trying to make the list up but need some more info.  Can you list the 6 out in order so i could get them all down correctly?
I actually have 4 with sizes, but the last two I need to know roughly the size.  I know you clipped the one free, but just guess so I cane put something down on the list.
Thanks Bud!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 09:12:41 AM »
Can you list the 6 out in order so i could get them all down correctly?

Tom, only 3 of them were mine.  First one was a small male, guessing maybe 70" or so, didn't take time to measure because we had two on the sand at the same time.  Second one was a 89" male.  Third one was in the 90's but I wasn't willing to get in the water with it in the dark.  I still can't believe Tony and me have put 10 of the last 17 on the sand.  I'm figuring beginner's luck   ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect