Author Topic: Hyalite Reservoir - 10/2 mid-day SW MT (longer version)  (Read 2199 times)

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Hyalite Reservoir - 10/2 mid-day SW MT (longer version)
« on: October 03, 2016, 01:22:44 PM »

I heard the reservoir was fishing well so my son and I scouted it out a couple days ago, and fished it yesterday.

We arrived and it was all sunny skies.

A very short walk through the woods got us to the spot.

I got dogged by two nice fish - I had them in close enough to see the flicker of their white sides and put a smile on my face, but they broke off.

Finally landed the third, which I’m pretty sure is a Yellowstone cutthroat:

I know the Yellowstone cuts frequent the reservoir, as do the arctic grayling (the fish I was hoping for, but did not get).  You can see the faint throat slashing better in this picture:

Unfortunately, my other head shots were blurred.  I really wanted a better pic of the throat. 

I fished a full intermediate clear line on my 5 wt., with this sculpin-like pattern:

After about 40 minutes of fishing, a hail storm moved in, so we packed out.

As Murphy’s Law would have it, by the time we got back to the car and put our gear away, the sun came back out.  Nonetheless, we headed out to look for animals.

Hyalite Creek in fall colors:

No animals, so I figured I would share this painting with the Board; from a restaurant in Ione, Washington:

We’ll have to hit the reservoir again, with rain/hail gear next time.  Tight lines, everyone, and clearer headshot pics. 

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Hyalite Reservoir - 10/2 mid-day SW MT (longer version)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 12:04:06 PM »
Great pics, Mike!  That's a sweet Yellowstone Cut throat.  I've caught a ton of ______ Cut throat out of the Clark-Fork river west of you guys.  That river is stacked with trout, pike, whitefish and pike suckers!

Thanks for posting here.  I love the green foliage especially that it should be turning really soon up there.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Hyalite Reservoir - 10/2 mid-day SW MT (longer version)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 08:33:29 AM »
Great pics, Mike!  That's a sweet Yellowstone Cut throat.  I've caught a ton of ______ Cut throat out of the Clark-Fork river west of you guys.  That river is stacked with trout, pike, whitefish and pike suckers!

Thanks for posting here.  I love the green foliage especially that it should be turning really soon up there.

Tom, I have not fished Clark Fork but it looks like an amazing river.  I've fished Rock Creek (which is the size of a river), a tributary of the Clark Fork.  I had a pretty good day there years ago.  I'd probably make the trip over for pike and pike suckers.  I'll have to look into it.