Author Topic: Metallic Flavored BFT  (Read 1937 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Metallic Flavored BFT
« on: October 03, 2023, 03:54:29 PM »
While I’m sure Koga loves the taste of fish and pennies, I’m a bit disappointed with the quality of my BFT meat. Raw it’s got a metallic taste to it, not quite the usual metallic blood flavor but something a little different. It’s fine and good when marinaded or seasoned/seared, but raw it is pretty much crap. Been like this from the start. Tried dry aging to see if the moisture was the issue and it made no difference. My best guess is that I shouldn’t have let the loins sit in the icy seawater bath for 3 hours and soak up excess moisture before being vacuum packed. Otherwise I just think bluefin isn’t that great compared to other tunas and mackerels. Never had a great cut of it, meanwhile yellowfin has always been great for me.

Definitely will eat it all and enjoy it marinaded and seared, just disappointed that none will be good sushi. Is that how bluefin is or did I screw up somewhere in my prep?

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Metallic Flavored BFT
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2023, 05:59:04 PM »
Must of ate one too many Rip Rollers.  ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 05:41:57 AM »
Personally, I would never leave any tuna loins soak in any type of bath, unless it's a brine just before smoking them.  I've also had many different qualities of tuna over the years, so quite possibly you caught one wintering in the Fukushima area... or doing what Len said, feasting on lead jigs.  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2023, 07:46:55 AM »
its mercury
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 08:45:45 AM »
its mercury

I am a little worried that this particular fish is single handedly gonna kill me with mercury and lead doses.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2023, 07:47:20 PM »
The TJ River adds all kinds of flavor ;D

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2023, 08:21:13 AM »
its mercury

I am a little worried that this particular fish is single handedly gonna kill me with mercury and lead doses.

it is affecting your football picks
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2023, 01:48:48 PM »
You have to bleed them out good and ice them for a day before cutting and packing to freeze.

If ate that day or that week it’s fine but bluefin meat is even more finicky than the fish themselves.

I’ve had good success wrapping them in paper towels and bagging them in the fridge over night then vacuum sealing and freezing the next day. A whole 3-4 day process.

The big one I got in September wasn’t bleed out the best. There was still blood coming out in the kill bag and we cut it that day and I packaged it the next. I had similar results to what you’re experiencing.

Some people suggest adding a little salt to them before sealing or a little oil.
Keep it tight