Author Topic: Skunk -1 (+ a bonus day)  (Read 2768 times)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Skunk -1 (+ a bonus day)
« on: August 15, 2016, 10:17:08 AM »
Well I tried a new spot near the old spot in north VC on Friday night with my dad and brother.  Conditions were PERFECT, but no targets were acquired.

Only bite I got was a -1 that was unfortunate enough to get his lip over the point of my 12/0 circle hook.  I was desparate so I chopped him up and rebaited with chunks of thornback ray but no love there either.

My brother landed a couple of small tractors so I was happy that he caught something on his first time surf fishing.
I can't wait for the big game to come back!

To make up for the weak fishing, I took the family to the VC Fair on Saturday and we had a blast!
View from the top of the ferris wheel:

And pic of my minions  :)

SOMEBODY PUT A SHARK ON THE SAND ALREADY!!!

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Skunk -1 (+ a bonus day)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 03:49:14 PM »
Beautiful family there chad 8)

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 09:30:58 PM »
Love the fact that you tried chunking thornback for bait. Good idea to mix it up when the norm isn't doing anything....

and Chad, just some quick advise from someone who learned this painful way, me... always double check yourself and be sure it's a thornback and not a round ray before grabbing your leader close to it, or going to unhook it or letting it dangle around your feet or legs. They're very similar in shape and size so never assume its a thornback until you see those 3 rows of thorns. Round rays tails are super quick and can barb you so fast you wont even see it happen, but you will feel it! Many, many years ago I caught what I assumed was another thorny because I had caught a few already that day. I grabbed my leader about 6" above the dangling ray and...wack! right deep into the underside of my wrist where all those tendons and veins are...I remember thinking, ahh sh!t, then massive burning pain, felt lightheaded and then the next thing I know I'm waking up on my back in the sand with lifeguards and paramedics surrouding me.So.... make sure everytime you or your kids or family, catch what you think is a -1 at first glance,that it does have the 3 rows and isnt smooth before getting within range of its tail.
JOE

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 05:47:19 AM »
Glad you made the best out of everything including the -1! lol

I still can't believe we have not seen any exotics at least showing up in the surf.  You would think after all this warm water for 2 years, that something would have made its way from Mexico... or Hawaii!!!!

Any case, great pics and times with the kiddos!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 07:24:50 AM »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 08:25:07 AM »
Thanks guys, I truly can't wait to start catching sharks again!  I keep telling myself to switch it up and go after perch, halibut, and calicos, but I always end up fishing the long rod for fear that I'll miss the big one LOL!

Joe, thanks for the tip!  I've never caught a round ray so I'll be sure to be super careful from now on!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 01:41:04 PM »

I still can't believe we have not seen any exotics at least showing up in the surf.  You would think after all this warm water for 2 years, that something would have made its way from Mexico... or Hawaii!!!!

I think we need to 'yak some baits out in order to hook an exotic. I'm even more surprised no one has done that. If I owned I kayak, I'd do it.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 02:16:32 PM »

I think we need to 'yak some baits out in order to hook an exotic. I'm even more surprised no one has done that. If I owned I kayak, I'd do it.

Mike you know you could have access to a yak, your too lazy to paddle a bait out.  ;D
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 04:32:50 PM »

If someone brings one, I'll paddle out a bait.

Mike you know you could have access to a yak, your too lazy to paddle a bait out.  ;D
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

SurffishingSean

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 11:11:40 PM »
Love the fact that you tried chunking thornback for bait. Good idea to mix it up when the norm isn't doing anything....

and Chad, just some quick advise from someone who learned this painful way, me... always double check yourself and be sure it's a thornback and not a round ray before grabbing your leader close to it, or going to unhook it or letting it dangle around your feet or legs. They're very similar in shape and size so never assume its a thornback until you see those 3 rows of thorns. Round rays tails are super quick and can barb you so fast you wont even see it happen, but you will feel it! Many, many years ago I caught what I assumed was another thorny because I had caught a few already that day. I grabbed my leader about 6" above the dangling ray and...wack! right deep into the underside of my wrist where all those tendons and veins are...I remember thinking, ahh sh!t, then massive burning pain, felt lightheaded and then the next thing I know I'm waking up on my back in the sand with lifeguards and paramedics surrouding me.So.... make sure everytime you or your kids or family, catch what you think is a -1 at first glance,that it does have the 3 rows and isnt smooth before getting within range of its tail.

JOE

Crazy story Joe. Ive almost been stung by one. i had some paper on its back and tried unhooking the skate and it flip its back side up like a scorpion. I'd say its barb was about 1/4 inch from getting my hand. i tripped out because of how fast it moved. Lesson learned sooner than later on these little guys.