Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Fishing Talk / Re: Kauai Fishing
« Last post by KogaHead on Today at 11:36:12 AM »
constant 25-35 mph winds in my face 24 hours a day.  Damn trade winds are making things tough.

Went 0/5 today in the surf before losing my iron.  Trying to cast into that wind and set the hook with a bow in your line seems impossibkle.

Going to try again later and adapt to another style of fishing.

Karma for trying to fish on a anniversary trip
Salt Water Shore Fishing Reports / Re: Variety Hour Day Two 5/7
« Last post by KogaHead on Today at 11:32:53 AM »
Agree with Squatch
General Board / Re: Bad Pig Wood Haul
« Last post by Tim524 on Today at 08:27:30 AM »
Nice trailer, years ago I would have been super jealous.  God knows in 40 years I humped my share of "Burning Sticks"

Yep, the Firewood thing is a constant chore but somehow it is satisfying when it's all split and stacked nice and neat, and you know you are good for a few years. Luckily my kids help out too, I'm no Spring Chicken anymore !
« Last post by Tim524 on Today at 06:06:57 AM »
 The Fish Gods are upset about something, time to evaluate things.
« Last post by sasquatch on Today at 05:27:42 AM »
owner mosquito hooks have never done me wrong
General Board / Re: Bad Pig Wood Haul
« Last post by vdisney on Today at 04:20:35 AM »
Nice trailer, years ago I would have been super jealous.  God knows in 40 years I humped my share of "Burning Sticks"
Salt Water Shore Fishing Reports / Variety Hour Day Two 5/7
« Last post by jrodda on May 07, 2024, 09:24:49 PM »
Got started a little later than yesterday, following the tide and hoping to wait out the afternoon wind a bit. Calmer conditions this time, maybe 5-7 head wind, similar swell but obviously less chop.

Took a few casts but broke the skunk with a small perch quickly enough.

A few casts later I got a good croaker thump, but farmed it because the drag was set too loose on my new Daiwa Laguna reel. The drag cam keeps getting knocked as I open the bail and it slips around way too easily. Frustrating.

A few casts later and I got another good thump, then that came unbuttoned. Reeled up and my hook was bent out! Absolutely ridiculous, there wasn't more than a couple pounds of drag. Very frustrated now. These Mustad #5 baitholders were a limited stock on ebay, perfect size, but every time I touch them with pliers in a fish's mouth they snap. Every time. Now bending? Brittle and bendy? No way.

Cut the hook off and retied. As I cinched the knot down the line snapped above the hook. Are you f@cking kidding me! I said that out loud. Older lady was walking by and laughed and said hi. I laughed at myself and said hi. But seriously. Reel, hook, line problems? Just go home now buddy.

Kept it moving, nabbed another perch. Long stretch of nothing. Then my c-rig got a ridiculous tangle. Was sick of the 8# leader material anyway so cut back to the 10# shock leader and tied on a 1oz KM. Didn't take long before I hooked into a decent jacksmelt. Got a few more bumps and short bites for the next 20 minutes. Then snapped it off on a cast, braid just kinda stuck to my finger too long. Bled a little bit. What's going on today!?

Tied on a 3/4oz KM and nabbed a WSP.

Next bite loaded up nice and pop! Line snapped like nothing. Seething with rage. I haven't had line issues in years and all my gear was failing on top of it.

Tied on my last 3/4oz KM and stuck 4 solid YFC on the way back to the car. Evened out my mood.

Gonna strip the top 20 yards of my fluoro filler spools off. Maybe they were getting worn by sitting in bags or the back of my car. Order different hooks, thinking the Matzuo sickles. And find a way to settle the drag cam.
General Board / Bad Pig Wood Haul
« Last post by Tim524 on May 07, 2024, 07:35:36 PM »
It was time to chase firewood again and get stocked up for The Pig Party and for the next few years of heating the house with the wood stove. Bad Pig was a bit dirty already so why not add to the mess.

No need to strain the back or shoulders, let the machine do the work.

Loaded in no time and headed home to dump

Made it home and backed into the wood pile

Got 4 Cords today, in a few weeks I'll go back and grab more

Fishing out of Dana Point next week with Captain Dave Hansen, hope to have a good report.
Fishing Talk / Re: Kauai Fishing
« Last post by jrodda on May 07, 2024, 09:47:03 AM »
Looking at the forecast for you. I hope you will be there through Friday, thu and fri the wind looks like it will ease off.
Salt Water Shore Fishing Reports / Re: Sunset Variety Hour 5/6
« Last post by jrodda on May 07, 2024, 09:42:55 AM »
Nice Variety Pack. The beaches will soon be a Zoo when school lets out, glad you found some players .

Oi, you’re right. The afternoons are gonna become a circus in no time. Gotta cram some sessions in before then.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10