Author Topic: Multi day(s) report  (Read 2047 times)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Multi day(s) report
« on: October 20, 2018, 04:33:54 PM »
Haven't been the greatest luck in the fishing department, coupled with my recent layoff from a company I loved working for, I just felt like laying low for a bit. But, I did squeeze in some trips, like a trip to Cabo, in-between the personal bumps in the road.

Cabo
The outcome of this trip was pretty well documented. We flew out a day after 80% of my company was laid off after failing to get positive data from out clinical trials. Also, we were flying into a tropical storm resulting in 2 days of 20kt winds and thunderstorms which made the water roll and turn brown from runoff. Water stayed brown until the day before we had to fly out. Just awesome ::)

Luckily I brought the surf perch outfit. Was able to get into some decent 6lb test action on reef critters.

Caught a bunch of the ones that look like a type of grunt and kept a few for shark bait for a long rod soak sesh the night prior to departure. I had 3 solid pickups and one of them came tight. Was on for about 30 seconds before my line went limp. Bait came back crushed, probably a ray. I called it after 3 hours. Cabo was what I expected, we booked late so a storm was likely. We had great family time playing some rousing games of Boggle with the grownups and then Battleship and War with the kids. Swimming in the pool during the rain and winds was pretty cool. Even go to watch the best angler there do his thing...

This was his spot on top of the mast of the "pirate ship" at the pool. Watched him several times eating various fish perched on the mast. I even did nightly gecko hunts with my boys. Geckos are a tough to catch!!

Liberty "full day" trip

Tried to get in on some of the sometimes great and sometimes not tuna fishing. Picked a Thursday thinking the boat would have plenty of room, but I guess several others that the same. 55 anglers later I caught 2 YFT and a skipjack. All on my little spinning outfit (Penn Spinfisher V 3500) on 15lb line size 2 hook. I managed to stay away from the cluster in the stern. I did lose 4 fish, but was ok with it knowing I was using what was I using.

Pier fun

Been stocking up for the grinners and bugs. Mackerel action has been steady and great at the piers. Lots of macks of varying sizes at OB pier. Kept the salemas for bugs.

Bonfire w/old co-workers

Got together with some good peeps to do a little fishing and drink beers. It was fun and a little bitter sweet. I had a great crew  :'( We managed a little spoof fin in-between the buzz.

Liberty Station with my boys

Always a blast with my boys. Hoping to get into some bonefish, but the tides weren't right for the time we could go. They managed several round rays, some small spotties, and a toad YFC.

The bonito hunt

Hit the pier again looking for some tasty bonito. Did 2 trips to the same pier. First trip resulted in 3 bonies and 4 lost ones and plenty of big mackerel. 2nd trip, no bonies, but the macks got even bigger. The surf was loaded with sardines too, schools upon schools! Ended up snagging a few jigging for mackerel.

Recent surf sesh

Did a solo soak after Josh stood me up. Damn, it was cold! I dumped a for sure soupfin. Was on for about 30 seconds after a ripping strike and then nothing. Bonito head missing. Beat the skunk with a sub-legal leo. Did get to try out a sweet tip light. I liked it, will buy some in the near future.

Time to hit the surf and put some sharks on the sand!!

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Multi day(s) report
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 05:00:31 PM »
Very cool indeed Mike, even caught a couple of bones.  Love the pictures of the kids    ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 07:19:47 PM »
Very cool Mike, really nice pictures!

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 09:16:33 AM »
Some of those are some really cool looking fish man.. What doing going through the the Audubon ID book??

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 09:21:16 AM »
Wait... Josh stood YOU up???  Did he have a hot date with his curling bar and bench press?   ;D ;D ;D

Great to see all of the reports Mike.  I was getting worried that you weren't getting any fishing in at all.  There is a lot of life out there right now and Steve just mentioned that he heard of Seven's and Soupie's being reported on Let's Talk Hook'up!  What the f@ck!?!?

How's the job hunt going?  Any of the recent interviews come through for you yet?
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 02:43:23 PM »
Wait... Josh stood YOU up???  Did he have a hot date with his curling bar and bench press?   ;D ;D ;D

X10  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Don't mess with Josh, he's gonna crush you! When he goes on his roid rage ;)

2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 02:49:42 PM »
Sorry to hear about the job, but glad you're getting a lot of fishing in, especially with the kids!