Author Topic: Saturday Night  (Read 1799 times)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
Saturday Night
« on: March 20, 2017, 08:32:47 AM »
Hit the big pond on Saturday night. Conditions were perfect. Used small squish for bait. They were so small had to use two at a time. Managed two small bats and two Jack Smelt. No big bendos >:(

On the way out, talked with a guy that looked like he knew what he was doing. Said he caught a smelt, and then hooked it up to his heavy gear and tossed it out. Says he could only get it out about 25 yards. Says he got one huge bendo but it didn't stick, all he got back was the smelt head.

I've never seen conditions like this before. No big bats, no big Leos, not much of anything.

Sure seems like there's something toothy and hungry eating everything out there though :)
Anybody have an emergency beer?

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday Night
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 08:41:38 AM »
Loose the squid and toss out some mackerel Chip!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 08:52:16 AM »
Lose the squid and send out a live jacksmelt!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 11:23:51 AM »
Ask Joe about using smelt  8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 03:04:08 PM »
X2, ditch the squid....

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 03:30:47 PM »
Keep using the squid and maybe you can finally catch a bat.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 05:56:53 PM »
OK Verne, you prompted it.....just my personal touch, but I've gotten some results with smelt over the years I fixed up like this... to first remove all their scales (you can leave the removed scales in their slime so theyll glitter the water on first slashdown) then peel off the strip of skin that runs over the bloodline, down both of it's sides. Make 2 parralell scores down the skin with a sharp blade and then the strip of skin should peel right up. (or at least just make a slice thru the skin down the length of the bloodline) (by bloodline I mean that strip of dark red flesh that runs from gills to tail just under the skin). Then make 4 or 5 diagonal slashes on both sides thru the skin, into the flesh. Then cut off the tail end just a bit in front of the anus to expose the rear of the gut cavity so the entrails will hang out some but not fall out completely. Hook thru the lips/head as usual and it will stay on the hook very well, almost impossible for it to be stolen from your hook or thrown off when casting...and yes Verne, that lost hook-up still haunts me...
JOE 

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 10:09:55 PM »
OK Verne, you prompted it.....just my personal touch, but I've gotten some results with smelt over the years I fixed up like this... to first remove all their scales (you can leave the removed scales in their slime so theyll glitter the water on first slashdown) then peel off the strip of skin that runs over the bloodline, down both of it's sides. Make 2 parralell scores down the skin with a sharp blade and then the strip of skin should peel right up. (or at least just make a slice thru the skin down the length of the bloodline) (by bloodline I mean that strip of dark red flesh that runs from gills to tail just under the skin). Then make 4 or 5 diagonal slashes on both sides thru the skin, into the flesh. Then cut off the tail end just a bit in front of the anus to expose the rear of the gut cavity so the entrails will hang out some but not fall out completely. Hook thru the lips/head as usual and it will stay on the hook very well, almost impossible for it to be stolen from your hook or thrown off when casting...and yes Verne, that lost hook-up still haunts me...
JOE

Too much work, I'll use squid instead.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 10:56:59 AM »
Damn OC seems tough right now! I admire the persistence and at least you beat the skunk!