Author Topic: The South Gulf Coast Adventures (Retirement Community)  (Read 2653 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
The South Gulf Coast Adventures (Retirement Community)
« on: December 23, 2021, 06:44:40 AM »
We didn't have a whole lot of time to do much and I didn't bring fishing gear as we had too much to do and only travelled with carryon luggage.  No hooks, or sharp objects allowed here.
I'll just post pics on the community where I stayed on this thread and share other adventures on another one.
The flights were extremely full, but not bad in general.  I will have to say that I found American Airlines to be better than United as comparing the trip down and back.

I let my wife and daughter sit together as I was squished in the middle between two "biggies".

We got there and settled in.  The retirement community had apartments onsite for visitors coming to see loved ones.  We got there late and I've never been to this facility to visit yet, so was stoked to see what it all looked like in the morning.  It was 86 and humid at 7:00pm there and felt like summer and not winter.

Walked out in the morning to see water-water everywhere!  Rivers, Bays and next to the ocean!  The river canal was full of sheepshead and a bunch of other fish I couldn't identify in the tea colored stained waters.

I also made my first trip to Publix to get supplies.  The home community doesn't allow alcohol, but I wasn't having that!  I've always heard about Publix, but it was nothing special.  It reminded me of one of the Upscale Vons out here.

I did have chances to walk the riverbeds while everyone was sleeping in the morning and found plenty of fossil bivalves and some broken small shark teeth.

Plenty of crazy trees also that seems to drop roots from the branches and wrap around each other making it look like one huge tree.  I forgot the name that they told me.

Of course there were people fishing everywhere!

The evenings were calm and beautiful, albeit hot, humid and full of bugs!  lol

Surprisingly, there were very few jumping fish.  Most of the fish were hiding in the mangrove roots and can't believe there was so little surface activity.

I got a total kick out of the little parking spots for the golf carts.  It was like out of the movie "Under the Rainbow"  LOL

Coquina everywhere.

My wife and I walked the two mile trail around the island everyday, looking for fish.... or that's what she told me I was doing... lol 
Anyway, it was a beautiful spot and I was jealous of all the boats with their private docks out back.  Well, retirement is only 15 years away for me.  hahaha

« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 06:54:03 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: The South Gulf Coast Adventures (Retirement Community)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 07:29:18 AM »
That tree is awesome.

Everything else looks pretty cool too.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 11:09:05 AM »
 I'd like to see what the tree looks like in 15 years :o

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 04:51:49 AM »
That tree is awesome.

The tree has my vote, very cool indeed
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect