Author Topic: Ghost In The Dark Legal Halibut In the Light AM NC Report 5/21  (Read 3054 times)

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Headed out a little earlier this AM and gave myself 1.5 hours to fish before work this morning. Started at 5AM this morning and as soon as I got out of the car it was pretty windy outside. Not a good sign I first thought. Conditions were overcast and a light windy on shore breeze. Got down to the surf and it didn't seem to effect the waves all that much. I was pretty happy about that.

Had the spinner all set up and a fresh re-tie ready to go with the Aurora Mackerel 110 LC.  Had my head lamp on as I didn't feel like stepping on any Sting Rays in the dark. I have seen a lot of Round Rays around and I try not to think about it to much. I hate those things! The very first cast (no joke) I get a solid strike, this tug felt different and I was wondering what was on the other end. Taking back a little drag that was set just right, I started walking the fish back in. All of a sudden it comes top water and starts thrashing. Serious thrashing, I shine the head lamp on her and see the color purple. I only had one treble in her and I was praying I could get her in. Luckily today I was able too. I'm glad I changed the stock hooks out.  What a nice fight that was.

Pics of the 20 inch White Sea Bass. Quick Pics, tape and back she went in pretty strong.

Nobody on the beach, no surfers yet. It was an amazing feeling really. Light wind, I was dressed properly so it felt good. Love that feeling, Warm from the waist up and shorts and flip flops below.

I was pumped up from the start. Made some more casts with the LC and started to get some salad on every cast. Decided to change it up to the Plastic weedless. Color was blue/white. A few casts in a feel a nice thump, tried to set the hook and missed!  About five minutes later a pancake Halibut goes airborne to my left about 10 feet out after some bait fish. Gulls were flying over head, although not really diving, but they were looking. Another cast out I get another thump, again I try to set the hook and missed. After that I casted for another 20 minutes for nothing. Decided to go to my spot where I had some decent luck yesterday and tied back on the LC.

Tied was still dropping and at this spot there wasn't any salad so I stuck with the LC. About fifteen minutes in I get my target species and finally a legal Halibut. Good fight from the get go as it hit the Lc pretty solid. Took out some drag and let her go and then started walking her back in.

Could tell it was closer to legal than it has been. I was pretty happy with the final results.

here's the pics.

Here is the measured shots. Call it 22.5 =)

Prehistoric soul tagged!

Girl wants some Holiday weekend tacos and so do I! Kept it and really thought about how much fun the fishing in Southern California really is. always trying to learn new things and enjoying the beauty of nature at the same time. I love these Halibut!

Thanks for listening to my story, thanks for reading and have a great weekend everyone! Good luck out there!

Lines tight!

Joel

Sharkinthedark II

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost In The Dark Legal Halibut In the Light AM NC Report 5/21
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 07:52:58 PM »
way to go Joel! Surf ghost too... 8)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 07:59:41 PM »
Nice - on a roll ...

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 09:42:17 PM »
Really great right up...your really tearing it up on these cali hallies... and bonus ghost! Relish and enjoy man 8)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 10:52:14 PM »
Solid sesh

You sure have those pancakes down 8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 06:34:14 AM »
On a Roll indeed!  You are one tagged fish away from winning a PS shirt.  I just won't say what that fish needs to be though!  lol

Well done Joel... damn you are striking while the iron is HOT!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 07:26:21 AM »
Nice session, your tacos will be goooood ! 8)

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 07:23:20 PM »
On a Roll indeed!  You are one tagged fish away from winning a PS shirt.  I just won't say what that fish needs to be though!  lol

Well done Joel... damn you are striking while the iron is HOT!

That's messed up Tom! LOL! Gonna make me work for it eh? Cmon a hint? Rare catch or common?  ::) ::) :o

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 09:30:24 PM »
nice

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 08:18:32 AM »
Nice double 8)
Anybody have an emergency beer?