Author Topic: Golden Bone  (Read 2991 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Golden Bone
« on: August 21, 2016, 08:09:00 PM »
I had a few telescoping rods that were recently given to me which are terrible, but they were the same ones I bought from a TV ad when I was 7 ot 8 years old, so I tossed a cheap reel on and packed some corn in my shorts to ninja sesh a local puddle near the house.

I had my head on a swivel, but within 5 minutes, got lucky and crushed a beautiful golden bonefish!

My guess was 8 pounds, maybe more but was a healthy fat fish.  Unlike the "rules" that say all carp must die here, I let him go to get bigger and cause some more eco-destruction!  LOL

I spent the next hour hunkering down in the shade away from the rod without even a sniff.  Too many people still around, but it was fun anyway and thanks Jim for giving me the push to get on some carp!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Bone
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 10:51:11 AM »
Nice!
They are fun to get because of the fight in them. Watch the margins for moving weeds big bastiges can't help but bump weeds when foraging. Cast past them and draw the bait close slowly.

Out in the IV I landed a grass carp for bait. The meat was totally different on that vs the common carp. White flesh not pink and fatty like a common.

Jim

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 11:39:22 AM »
Lol, good to see a ninja sesh out of you.

That's a solid carp, they are some hard fighting fish 8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 12:36:55 PM »

That's a solid carp, they are some hard fighting fish 8)

I didn't buy a permit or fish in a public area.  I'm not one for ninja fishing and usually stick to the rules, but I wanted to catch a fish after having put in all that outboard motor work on Saturday just to find there is still an issue.  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 07:34:20 PM »

Damn, Tom, that's a hogbeast!

One of my favorite pound-for-pound fish in the world.  I have not caught one in decades, and I still respect their pulling power.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 08:43:18 PM »

I miss the ninja commando stealth seshes, big time! Had a small crew of friends that I pulled off some insane missions with years ago, killer memories. Our mantra was to never break laws that were in place to protect fish, as in DFG laws, but if it was, for instance, no tresspass, just due to a property owner's liability concerns, our objective was to find a way to fish it, and then fish it, all the while keeping the well being of the fish as a high importance for the mission.
Too bad we don't live closer to each other Eric because I get the sense you know exactly what I'm saying...

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 04:28:29 PM »

I miss the ninja commando stealth seshes, big time! Had a small crew of friends that I pulled off some insane missions with years ago, killer memories. Our mantra was to never break laws that were in place to protect fish, as in DFG laws, but if it was, for instance, no tresspass, just due to a property owner's liability concerns, our objective was to find a way to fish it, and then fish it, all the while keeping the well being of the fish as a high importance for the mission.
Too bad we don't live closer to each other Eric because I get the sense you know exactly what I'm saying...

I'd love to hear some of those stories!

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 04:55:36 PM »

Deffinately on the same page as you joe.

I started ninja'ing (don't think that's a word) spots when I was 15 or 16. I'm 32 now and still do it :D
I'm still looking at google earth now and then for spots and what area is best to sneak in.
I've been caught b law enforcement a few times but never ticketed. It all about how you conduct yourself with the officer.
I have a  ton of stories as well, maybe we should start a ninja thread and ad stories.
Just a quick one, I remember jumping a barb wire fence and cutting my finger open to where the meat was hanging out. I was also really drunk :D
I have a very risky spot set up right now but the reward is way worth getting a ticket.
I can keep going on and on , on this topic. I'll stop now. Think a thread is in the making.