Author Topic: Pulled Hook  (Read 1755 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Pulled Hook
« on: August 20, 2016, 07:08:10 PM »
So, I was sure it was a Soupfin the other night, but just Souped me.  I had to angle him with a bit of line to get to the shore and I think he wrapped so many times on my shock leader that on a big thrash on the shoreline, he pulled and bent my 10/0.  Part of me always wonders if it was anything special like a hammer, but I was pretty sure on the night I was fighting it that it was a Soupie.

In any case, I took a pic at the same angle of a new 10/0 along with the bent hook.

I even tried bending a brand new 10/0 to see what it would take and I couldn't even replicate the damage.  Those sharks have a lot of power in them.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Pulled Hook
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 08:25:07 PM »
Jeez, that's no 1x wire hook either...in the pic it looks like it could also be bent some on the upper shank under the shrink tubing, if that first bulge in the shrink is the hook eye. The stress direction would be the same as what it took to open the bend. I don't see a bend in the shanks of the comparision hooks before the eye bend.Could just be the cam angle tho....

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 09:03:01 PM »
The eye is at the correct angle to the hook under it.  The larger heat shrunk area is the crimp also. 
It was disappointing, but at least it left me a "reminder" to hang on the wall.  lol

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 10:46:47 AM »
I had to angle him with a bit of line to get to the shore

Where were you fishing from that you had to get to the shore?  Not location but wondering if it was a pier or jetty.................................just being nosey brother  ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 12:48:09 PM »
I had to angle him with a bit of line to get to the shore

Where were you fishing from that you had to get to the shore?  Not location but wondering if it was a pier or jetty.................................just being nosey brother  ;D

Beach fishing.  Steve was over top of me fighting a fish and my shark took a long hard run towards the reef.  If I tried to reel down and run with him, he would have gained ground and made it to the reef as I stopped him right at the edge.  I tighten the drag and walk down to the beach away from him and it creates a pendulum motion to the fish and he makes a half circle away from the reef in the same circular pattern.  I'm not sure I could explain it eloquently in type, but it keeps the fish in my immediate area without having to run the beach and track him down, especially if there is reef or structure on either side. 

A good case to use as an example would be the 60" bat that I caught and the monster that Steve lost a few months ago.  He decided to follow his which drug him down to the jetty 100+ yards away and snapped him off.  Mine tried doing the same thing, but I employed the buttoned drag and moving in the opposite direction to make her swing into the area that I wanted her.  It went back and forth for a while, but I managed to keep her within 15 yards of my sand spike. 

I hope that answered your question as I'm daydreaming about the next shark now and forgot what I was going to explain!!  lol