Author Topic: I don't think there's any soup puns left  (Read 3980 times)

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
I don't think there's any soup puns left
« on: July 02, 2019, 10:07:05 AM »
I haven't posted on here in awhile but I figured I should update my fellow shark fishermen on some of my recent outings. For most of the spring I was  too distracted by spiny swimbait eating fishes to spend as much time going after the sharks, but recently I've been hitting the sand again for bigger game. The shark fishing was on fire last week. Lots of soupfins around. I wasn't expecting much pulling up to the beach during the early summer but 15 minutes after casting my reel started screaming and it was full speed from there. Over the course of three nights I went 9 for 12 on grinners! My best week yet. I've had a few multiple shark nights before but never for this many days at a time. A couple of confused bat rays showed as well. All of the fish were caught on light line surf species such as croaker, perch, and Corbina; I'd show up to the beach either the morning before or a few hours before sunset to make bait. This last weekend brought in a nasty swell and a lot of kelp to most of the SD beaches but hopefully things'll clear up again soon.

Night 1: fish caught on Yellowfin Croaker + Corbina (gratuitous 18.5'' Corbina pic from that morning; I did not cut that one up for bait)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4se8TmS9yrSgzhZB6

Night 2: all fish caught on Corbina
https://photos.app.goo.gl/p82o7tpPPnkkmSZo7

Night 3: all fish caught on Corbina
https://photos.app.goo.gl/z6c6HhJzkbs9CDXd6

Night 4: Skunk

Highlight of the week was the shark I caught at sunset on night 3 (the 26th). I tried multiple times to tail her in the wash but she kept spinning out of my grip. 5 or 6 tries later and I was essentially wrestling the animal in the suds while a small crowd gathered to watch. All of a sudden it rubbed through the 100lb leader and I grabbed/tackled it right as it was about to rocket away and give me the biggest embarrassment of my shark fishing career. While dragging it up the beach it tried to bite me and grazed my ankle with its teeth. It's always been kind of on my bucket list to get bitten and although it was only a graze it at least makes for a good story.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 11:02:51 AM by Kam_Walsh98 »

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: I don't think there's any soup puns left
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 11:22:45 AM »
It's always been kind of on my bucket list to get bitten and although it was only a graze it at least makes for a good story.

:o

Outstanding week, I'm super stoked for you guys 
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

itsyaboysears

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 04:18:46 PM »
What a week it was indeed... You’ve been putting them on the sand! Thanks for getting me onto a couple.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 05:57:51 PM by itsyaboysears »

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 05:36:32 PM »
Mike would say "Tail rope". ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 05:50:29 AM »
Nicely done Kam!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 10:45:50 AM »
Let me know if there’s any issues with viewing the photos.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 12:38:58 PM »
Getting bit by a shark has never been on anyone's bucket list!! Lol!!!!!!!!! Epic sharking to finish out the season. You and Andre had a pretty awesome year!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 12:45:09 PM »
Getting bit by a shark has never been on anyone's bucket list!! Lol!!!!!!!!! Epic sharking to finish out the season. You and Andre had a pretty awesome year!!

I've been pretty boom or bust this year with the sharks haha; either been catching a bunch or catching nothing.

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 02:50:21 PM »
I haven't posted on here in awhile but I figured I should update my fellow shark fishermen on some of my recent outings. For most of the spring I was  too distracted by spiny swimbait eating fishes to spend as much time going after the sharks, but recently I've been hitting the sand again for bigger game. The shark fishing was on fire last week. Lots of soupfins around. I wasn't expecting much pulling up to the beach during the early summer but 15 minutes after casting my reel started screaming and it was full speed from there. Over the course of three nights I went 9 for 12 on grinners! My best week yet. I've had a few multiple shark nights before but never for this many days at a time. A couple of confused bat rays showed as well. All of the fish were caught on light line surf species such as croaker, perch, and Corbina; I'd show up to the beach either the morning before or a few hours before sunset to make bait. This last weekend brought in a nasty swell and a lot of kelp to most of the SD beaches but hopefully things'll clear up again soon.

Night 1: fish caught on Yellowfin Croaker + Corbina (gratuitous 18.5'' Corbina pic from that morning; I did not cut that one up for bait)

Highlight of the week was the shark I caught at sunset on night 3 (the 26th). I tried multiple times to tail her in the wash but she kept spinning out of my grip. 5 or 6 tries later and I was essentially wrestling the animal in the suds while a small crowd gathered to watch. All of a sudden it rubbed through the 100lb leader and I grabbed/tackled it right as it was about to rocket away and give me the biggest embarrassment of my shark fishing career. While dragging it up the beach it tried to bite me and grazed my ankle with its teeth. It's always been kind of on my bucket list to get bitten and although it was only a graze it at least makes for a good story.

Sweet report Kam. Congrats, on a good season! Hopefully, we'll get a chance to meet and fish together next season.

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 03:11:18 PM »

Sweet report Kam. Congrats, on a good season! Hopefully, we'll get a chance to meet and fish together next season.

Thanks Andre, I’m definitely down to fish with you. This season might not be over yet haha I’m gonna do some more scouting once the surf cleans up.

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 02:01:07 PM »

Thanks Andre, I’m definitely down to fish with you. This season might not be over yet haha I’m gonna do some more scouting once the surf cleans up.

:) ;)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 08:58:43 PM »
Hey boss, I'm trying to piece everything together to make it easier on me.  Just drop the "Length - Sex - Bait - Surf Height - Tide   - County Caught"for me?  two of them look the same and I don't want to guess on so many things I'm not sure about.  Thanks boss, I appreciate it.  You are jumping a ton of peeps and will get some guys ready for the fall season!  Sorry its taking so long to get on the boards, but it's hard to guess the tides/sizes etc. I got the dates from the links. 8)

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 09:54:34 PM »
No worries, here are the details:

7 soupies and 2 leopards (might’ve been unclear from the post) + 3 lost fish
All SD county

Soupies:

Night 1:

All females
All incoming tide
Yellowfin Croaker
2-4ft surf
Length:
1. 72” approximately
2. 68” approximately
3. 68” approximately

Night 2:

All females
All incoming tide
Corbina
2-4ft surf
Length:
1. 76” approximately
2. 68” approximately
3. 72” approximately

Night 3:

Female
Incoming tide
Corbina
2-4ft surf
Around 72”
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 09:57:13 PM by Kam_Walsh98 »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 10:26:58 PM »

All SD county

Soupies:

Night 1:

All females
All incoming tide
Yellowfin Croaker
2-4ft surf
Length:
1. 72” approximately
2. 68” approximately
3. 68” approximately

Night 2:

All females
All incoming tide
Corbina
2-4ft surf
Length:
1. 76” approximately
2. 68” approximately
3. 72” approximately

Night 3:

Female
Incoming tide
Corbina
2-4ft surf
Around 72”

Thanks boss!  That made my work so much easier!  I'll have it up soon.

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2019, 05:25:59 PM »

All SD county

Soupies:

Night 1:

All females
All incoming tide
Yellowfin Croaker
2-4ft surf
Length:
1. 72” approximately
2. 68” approximately
3. 68” approximately

Night 2:

All females
All incoming tide
Corbina
2-4ft surf
Length:
1. 76” approximately
2. 68” approximately
3. 72” approximately

Night 3:

Female
Incoming tide
Corbina
2-4ft surf
Around 72”

Thanks boss!  That made my work so much easier!  I'll have it up soon.

Awesome thanks!