Tackle Talk > Tackle Talk

International Travel + Number of Rods

(1/1)

Latimeria:
So I was thinking of what rods to bring down to the Ranch in August, but after looking at the recommendations realize I need to figure out closer what to bring.  Does anyone else that travel outside the US only bring 4 rods with them?

Rods:
4 rods, a 6' trolling rod with all or tip and bottom roller guides in a 50# to 80# class; a 6' rod 20# to 50# class; a 5 1/2' or 6' 10# to 40# class; and a 6' bass rod. (4 Rod/per person maximum on international flights)

Also, there are some 7' rods I want to bring and one of the 12' surf sticks has a 7' and 5' section to it, but I noticed all the recommendations have 6' or smaller.  Is that for van and travel space?

Just curious as I've always just brought a few pack rods, but want to bring some better gear this time to really sample the surf and reefs. 

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

-Tom

jrodda:
I only brought 4 to PV, all two pieces with the longest piece being 60” I believe. My travel tube stretches to 7’6” and I only made for it to be 6’ for the trip. Zero issues for me. I routed the internet for months to make sure I didnt f@ck anything up and it went fine. Though I accidentally brought 10/0 hooks through carry-on on accident but nothing bad happened.

From everything I saw, 115” linear inches is the general limit for rod tubes on planes, which reasonably comes out to an 8’ x 8” cylinder. Can’t speak to any other means of travel via van or whatever for your trip but unless your airline specifically states otherwise, I would pack with those dimensions in mind.

Seems like every manufacturer of travel rods limits themselves to a 6’ piece for some reason, ie the two piece popping rods tend to be approx 5’ and 3’ segments, add a few inches for ferrules. Your surf rod and 7’ers should fly fine.

Latimeria:
That's it.  I'm trying to keep it at 6' because that looks huge enough and stretching it out to 7 feet looks like it won't fit anywhere.  (It's a wheeled 8" diameter airline tube)

I'm going to think about it, but might stick with the 7' max.  I do have 6' rods that will do the trick but have time to figure it out. 

My travel pack rods are 4 piece.  The conventional is 7' and the spinning is 8'6" (both Okuma) and I might put them in my suitcase so I have 6 rods down there at my disposal.

The prep leading up to the trip is probably just as exciting as the trip itself.  lol

Pinoyfisher:
I bring as many rods as I can fit in my rod tube. On one vacation, I brought 5 as that was the most I could fit in the tube. Typically I bring 4. I pack the reels, line free, in my carry-on.

Latimeria:
I have an 8" wheeled rod tube, so can fit a few.  i just didn't want to have a few disappear since International Travel is only supposed to be 4. 

Thanks Mike!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version