Author Topic: Up and Down the Coast (2/27)  (Read 1772 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Up and Down the Coast (2/27)
« on: February 28, 2022, 06:20:56 AM »
Took Roger out fishing for a change and he bought bait to test out the new pump.  The ride to the bay showed the mountains on fire behind me!

As we were heading out, Roger told me that he saw how they loaded the fireworks barge.  Steve and I were just talking about how we never see it happen, but everything seem to just just magically appear.  Pretty cool, but I guess this is for the Emperor's Plunge ride they are launching for Sea World.

We got bait and the pump seemed to be working just fine thankfully after the repairs.  We went looking for Yellow's that have been making a showing here and there, but saw absolutely NO signs of life.  No bait, no birds, no mammals, no nothing...

With things looking so quiet, we ran up the coast trying to find anything to bite.  We stopped at some reef, but it was pretty much dead.  Unfortunately, we didn't want to keep running up any further as we had the Sea Watch set up right at Delmar to do some bass fishing.

It was a slow pick (especially for live baits) but we managed to get them.  Our target was Halibut, but the bass made a showing.

We had probably 6 really good missed halibut bites as the raked sardines told the story as well as the feel of the bite, but we did manage a butt each.  My was 1/2" short...

Roger got a butt for himself to hold.

The wind finally laid down and we had some good little spots of fish followed by S-L-O-W fishing.

Calico, Sand Bass, and flatties were the only catches today.  We kept one legal Sandy and a really nice Calico that Roger caught. 

Roger made sure he took his shirt off for the picture.

We stayed a little longer than I was planning, so started heading back.  Along the way, the life-lessness we saw on the way out turned to a PLETHORA of life!  Hundres of Common and Bottlenose Dolphin, Whales, Grebes, bait balls.... and we even passed a hug Mola mola!  This was a BIg dude in 58 degree water!

It had a wound on it, but the thing was probably 2' thick.

It didn't want to play, so I couldn't get the shot that I wanted, but still great to see.

Roger cast the iron a few times, but I was done.  No fish marks or any fish to be seen, just small dolphin feeding.

That was it.  Came in and loaded up for the way home.  I was reminded of a few things on this trip I think I forgot over the years... what a mess using sardines make, and Roger might have lost a step on how to deckhand.  lol

Thanks for reading and until next tide!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Up and Down the Coast (2/27)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 06:59:09 AM »
The conditions look nice and calm, always a plus 8) 8) Hopefully the water starts warming up soon.  :)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 08:44:13 AM »
The conditions look nice and calm, always a plus 8) 8) Hopefully the water starts warming up soon.  :)

It was quite bumpy in the morning, but thankfully calmed down.  Well, bumpy for my boat, but a smooth ride in your future boat when you get it out on the water.   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 08:39:46 PM »
Where is your shirtless pick Swami???
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 11:05:00 PM »
Nice steady pick on em. Sounds relaxing.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 03:47:53 AM »
To be honest Tom, I'm just stoked to read your boat reports without engine problems. 
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect