Author Topic: Finally a BSP 11/11  (Read 2501 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Finally a BSP 11/11
« on: November 12, 2021, 12:02:54 AM »
Got a good streak going with the light tackle surf fishing. Wanted to scout out the Anaheim jetties but arrived to see it was a $15 entry and I forgot that regular humans get Veteran's Day off, so I didn't wanna pay money to be in a crowd. Water from the road didn't look bad though. Also noticed a fire on Catalina. Looked like it was under control fairly quickly, but not something you see every day. Just looked it up and it was a 17 acre wildfire that was dealt with.

Moved north to Sunset Beach and found free parking at 2:30pm. Peak high was around 2pm so fished the steady outgoing. I like that stretch going toward Bolsa Chica as it's steep enough for a little trough to almost always be there. Got short bit every few casts and finally beat the skunk at 4:30pm. Funny how since my move I was able to catch a halibut, a leo, a YFC, and a WSP on the light tackle before I finally got a single Barred Surfperch.

Already in breeding colors too! Too bad it was just the size I was looking for to add to my bait collection in the freezer!

Fished through sunset and not another hookup. Nice weather to be out.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 10:43:17 AM by jrodda »

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Finally a BSP 11/11
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 03:18:21 AM »
Looking forward to a report when you put this bait to work   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 04:50:32 AM »
Glad to see you finally got one.

Isn't fishing still closed south of the Anaheim jetties? I been feeling like a shut-in since my go-to spots in OC have been closed due to the oil spill for so long.

https://socalspillresponse.com/fisheries-closure/

-Keith
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 04:54:17 AM by Dark_Knight_9C1 »

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 05:14:12 AM »
 Leo bait 8)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 09:48:16 AM »
Glad to see you finally got one.

Isn't fishing still closed south of the Anaheim jetties? I been feeling like a shut-in since my go-to spots in OC have been closed due to the oil spill for so long.

https://socalspillresponse.com/fisheries-closure/

-Keith

Yeah still closed south of the jetty. Would have checked the north side if I’d actually paid admission. I wonder when they’ll open that back up. I don’t hear much about cleanup efforts anymore.

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 10:52:35 AM »
If you check the website, it says they are testing the water contamination levels now. They didn't expect to open until the end of this month or later.

-Keith

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2021, 01:49:17 PM »
If you check the website, it says they are testing the water contamination levels now. They didn't expect to open until the end of this month or later.

-Keith

Should have actually opened the link, thought I knew everything (as usual). Good to know. Also good to know they updated the fishing closure! I saw one somewhere that said north of the Santa Ana River was fine, not sure where I got that from at this point. Then I just checked one that I saved in the beginning of all this that says Bolsa Chica is closed.

And the one in the link is even bigger and knocks out all of HB? I wonder how I was supposed to know that they revised the closure 3 times in a month.

So I guess this report is incriminating. Oh well, I'm loose cannon.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 05:36:15 PM »
Nice perch boss. 

So many closed areas for fishing is tough.  Thankfully we have a closed area down here that only allows beach fishing.  It makes for nice evenings while shark fishing not having to worry about boats and divers.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2021, 09:18:21 AM »
To be honest, not long after the spill I went fishing off the jetty at the entrance to Newport harbor to try to make some bait. I was pleasantly surprised to not see any oil on the rocks and no smell.
There was lots of minnows in the water but no mackerel.
There were plenty of other people fishing there as well. Even boats at the end of the jetty trying to make bait.
Later I saw that the area was closed.
I would think they would have signs posted if they really wanted to enforce it.

-Keith

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 09:02:10 PM »
Ain't nothin' illegal unless you get caught!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

WasWheresMyBeer

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 10:58:00 PM »
Leo bait 8)

Man actual. Have so many great memories at Del Mar. Dig for crabs, bait the line for BSP, cut them up, bait for Leos. Fun food chain fishing.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2021, 05:10:19 AM »
Leo bait 8)

Man actual. Have so many great memories at Del Mar. Dig for crabs, bait the line for BSP, cut them up, bait for Leos. Fun food chain fishing.

You used to be "Delmar Dave" back then, always catching nice Leo's!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.