Author Topic: Electronics  (Read 2025 times)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Electronics
« on: September 30, 2021, 07:25:56 AM »
 Well, since the boat is on order I have time to shop for the electronics and have them on hand so they can be installed when it arrives. The place I bought the from is a Garmin dealer but that doesn't mean I can't go with a different brand. The Lowrance I had before was pretty nice but I really don't have experience with others to compare :-[  12'' is going to the minimum screen size (Timmy only has one eye ) so is there anything in particular I should be aware of when making the choice ? I know Trolling motors have come a long way and they all pretty much have the Spot Lock feature. I have had 2 Minn Kotas in the past and they were great but now some have brushless motors and they say they are a '' Game Changer '' I guess my Question is  are all the new bells a whistles worth it or is  '' Old School '' the way to go ?  Any input from you boat guys would be appreciated, thanks  8)

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Electronics
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 08:36:07 AM »
get the best resolution you can afford for a meter/sounder. make sure it covers the depths you will be fishing. one key element is the ability to distinguish fish from kelp, baitfish, etc. while trolling offshore, this will enable you to see tuna and other fish at depths.

get a good autopilot with GPS will save your muscles and gas when trekking offshore. super to click a point on a map and it automatically points and steers the boat in that direction.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 09:58:33 AM »
Just kidding, but I love the HDS Live.  I'll try to get some more intel since I haven't checked out new electronics in a while.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 04:47:39 PM »
My knowledge doesn't really carry into the larger skiff market. I know it's a lot to read up on so I wish you luck.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 09:29:12 AM »
ignore tom his favorite metter is 300 feet of colored line tied to a sinker.
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 10:06:06 AM »
ignore tom his favorite metter is 300 feet of colored line tied to a sinker.
Hahahaha

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 02:46:52 PM »
 I have been shopping around on- line and hit a few shops as well. Looks like a Thru hull transducer is going to be way to go so I don't have to upgrade later. As for the head units go, they be expensive these days and the only purchases made today was a few shirts from a local tackle shop. Garmin still has my attention :)

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 10:41:41 AM »
my two cents, try not to drill holes in the hull, see if they have a really good transom mount, more holes = more water in bilge.
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 11:19:22 AM »
my two cents, try not to drill holes in the hull, see if they have a really good transom mount, more holes = more water in bilge.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly, I hate the idea of drilling thru the hull of a brand new boat, but they swear by it not leaking if done correctly ::) Still doing my homework ;)