Author Topic: East Coast Meets West Coast Bass (8/7)  (Read 16315 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
East Coast Meets West Coast Bass (8/7)
« on: August 08, 2015, 12:17:01 AM »
Well, Andrew's last day in Cali was today and I figured I would test out the repairs I did on the Boma and get him out fishing for something bigger than those bay pee-pee bass.  The only thing that would have sucked is if we got stuck out there and had to be towed in.  ;D

The boat ran good, but I feel something is not exactly right but I can't put my finger on it.  As we got to the inlet, he turned to me and said "We're going out in that?  Are you sure?".  Once again the weather forecast was wrong.  I checked the marine forecast again and it was easily double for everything they were calling for, but we pressed on.
 The afternoon was quite gloomy, but the sun broke through late and made it pretty nice out.

First cast and I get hammered.  I was hoping this was not the sign of the first cast curse, but it was a stocky checker on the board!

The sun started to break through, but we got into a steady pick of legal calicos!  I was quite amazed at the size and aggression of them.  I didn't take a bunch of pics, but we caught quite a few and lost count... almost all legal plus sized fish!

Andrew got some quality bass that he was really stoked about!

I took a bunch of hook up shots as those bass tested his custom rod that he brought down for bay fishing.

Man, some of the bass were so thick!  It was amazing how aggressive they were.

Andrew's Lunker!

It was a killer listening to the radio however and hearing of all the tuna being caught.  I know I shouldn't thumb my nose at the bass, but I was within range of the tuna and didn't want to risk it since I was not sure how my motor would run.

Andrew then yells "Yellowtail!"  WTF?!?  His swimmy got smashed by a yellow and a few barracuda came in right after and cleaned up! f@cked up his swimmy behind repair.  I didn't get a clear shot of the yellow, but saw the cuda for certain.  I tied on a white 2oz jig and had cuda chasing it all the way to the boat but wouldn't commit.  Then as I was pulling my jig out of the water, a yellowtail busts on the jig and slams into my hull!  Friggand boat prevented him from inhaling the jig and he swam off with quite the headache!  Crazy stuff!

The cuda were everywhere, but would only swipe at out lures and not commit.  They looked stuffed and I was metering what was probably red crab.  I finally get hit at the surface just to see this Johnny Bass at the end of it.   ::)

We cruise back and forth between 3 spots and I kept metering fish, but we couldn't get them to commit.  I finally found a beauty of a turd roller to be seduced by my offering.

We finally end the trip with fly lining some Spanish macks.  We only got four so had to make them count.  Unfortunately the bass and cuda had other plans and left us with dead bait.

The boat ran back strong and I'll take her for a longer run next time until I feel comfortable that I fixed the problem, but in the mean time, this was a fun way to get Andrew out doing some new types of fishing while giving the Boma a shakedown run.  All the bass were CPR'd.  I didn't feel like cleaning fish when I got home.  ;D

Until Next Tide!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: East Coast Meets West Coast Bass (8/7)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 01:01:25 AM »
Ah ha. Boat runs fine and only bass to show for it. Unleash the gremlins!

JK. Quality checker fishin.  8)

Nicky

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 08:39:54 AM »
Wow those are some nice bass Mr. Tom!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 09:27:46 AM »
Looks like Andrew had a good send off.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 01:17:42 PM »
Glad the motor held up :) The bass played and the tuna teased you ??? With the choppy water you could have chummed a bit, I know I would have ;D ;D ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 08:01:35 PM »
Andrew is a seasoned vet and yet he was sea sick the whole time. Kept saying it was something he ate, but I know better. Lol
Come on Tim! Take the Ass Rack for a tuna run!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.