Author Topic: Operation Halibut (12/26)  (Read 2116 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Operation Halibut (12/26)
« on: December 28, 2022, 05:54:54 PM »
I was supposed to be Bluefin fishing this day with my buddy, but the planets suddenly didn't align at the last second.  Stress levels were increasing, and I made a last second decision to go big halibut or bust for a few hours.  I was hoping to end the year at least on a high note, or just let it play out with what 2022 dealt me for the year.

I decided I was going to buy bait, since I haven't really fished or let alone done anything for a while.  $40 a half scoop is a little painful still, but whatever.

I stopped at an old spot that I haven't fished in a few years and dropped some live bait down.  Boom, BASSARAMA!

After the third fish, I got called by the Hein Plumbing guys who spied me on the reef.  After a few pleasantries, I continued to spank some nice bass.  Nothing big, but they were all 13"-16".

I caught 15 assorted bass here and then something slammed my big dine.  As I was trying to get it off the bottom, I realized it was probably a halibut... and I was right!  I slid a 15# class halibut next to the boat, but as I was grabbing the gaff, it took a run down.  I got it back about 4 feet under the boat again, and it dove back under the boat. I had the heavier rod out, but switched to my lighter gear to have more fun with the bass.  I was taking my time and probably felt a little too confident.  Well, I was slowly working it back up and everything was ready.... and then nothing....  Not a *pop... Not a dive.... just not there.  I reeled up the rig and it was all there clean as a whistle.  Ugh.....

I did get a few more bass though which brought me up to 17 bass and not a single other critter besides bass.

I moved from spot to spot trying not to use any squid, and just live bait since I had it.  I picked up a couple of bass, but otherwise, not a single rockfish.  Water was cold at 57.2 and all of a sudden some mackerel ran through.  I caught 3 before they were gone and probably 1-1.5 pounders.

Time was just burning away, so on my bass gear, i pinned on one of the big macks instead of a sardine.  I felt a bump, them another BIG Bump... I set the hook and WOW!  It was something I haven't felt today. 
I tried under heavy drag to get it up, but I would get it up 20' and it would dive back down 20'.  All it was doing is fighting vertically.  Never once made a side run.  I got a couple of nice sheepsheads last week and this felt like a supersized one, but to suck down a 1.5# mack?  Maybe a big Lingcod?  I honestly don't think it was because it just felt like it had a ton of mass and I could feel the headshakes.

I totally felt like I might finally be getting the advantage and about 15 minutes into this tug of war and then all of a sudden, it was gone.... I reeled up to see this crap!  50# quick snap that snapped!

I only had about 15# of drag on the bass gear, maybe a little more, so it was definitely a QC issue.  After a few days thinking of all of the possibilities, I'm pretty certain it was probably a BSB.  It's been a while since I last caught one, so I'm a little rusty on remembering the fight, but after soaking it all in, I'm pretty sure that's what it was.  I would have loved to say it was a WSB, or YT, but I know it most likely wasn't.

Oh well, my 2022 hand that was delt is still holding true.  It was a great mental relief for a little while before heading home and getting dinner ready for my parents and family.

2022 is coming to a close and this was a pretty fun trip minus going 0-2 on the things I was hoping to catch!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Halibut (12/26)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 08:07:51 PM »
 Still a good day on the water with all the bass activity, bummer on the Hali and mystery fish but then again that's why the addiction is so fun. Hope you have a safe and Happy New Year  8)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 11:45:56 PM »
Getting a hook in a halibut is half the battle, keeping them on seems so much harder than most species. A pleasant day still.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 05:12:14 AM »
Great read Tom, had me on the edge of my seat.  Hopefully things mellow out for you soon  8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect