Author Topic: Surf Saddles and the One that Got away... Again (10/7)  (Read 5159 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Surf Saddles and the One that Got away... Again (10/7)
« on: October 08, 2014, 04:15:42 PM »
Steve and I arrived to the beach and had to find a stretch that didn't have any people.  I cast out and immediately, the idiot beacon went beckoning! A guy and his kid made their way down the beach and he went to handline in my cast!  WTF!?!?  He yelled, "This is a swimming beach, not a fishing beach!".  This is the second kook on different beaches that has said something as stupid as that to me this year alone.  The last one was a surfer saying "This is a surfer's beach, not a fishing beach... go fish over there!".  Friggand morons.  I had to compose myself as I easily could have let my emotions get the best of me, but calmed down and waited for all of the fruits to clear the beach.

The hot bait was the bonito and definitely did better than the mack.

It took a while, but after a few short bites, I got a healthy leopard to stick!  Didn't measure her, but in the 5 foot range.

I got a small leo...

While Steve pulled in a nice medium sized model.

Then it happens again.  Huge hit!  I had the drag set perfectly... new 80# Big Game shock leader... everything was spot on.  Definitely a soupfin at the end of the line and I took my time.  10 minutes into the fight and I feel a roll and then nothing...
This is really starting to bother me that I am losing so many quality fish and surf rigs.  It's not because of knot failure, but having my shock leader get cut through.  All I can say is that I hope this streak ends really soon as it is wearing on me pretty good....  >:(

Oh well, no use complaining about it anymore, but to get out there and try again.   ;D

In either case it was a fun evening hanging with Squatch and putting down a few margaritas.  Until next week Steve!  I might have to tie up the 100# just to make sure!  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
Re: Surf Saddles and the One that Got away... Again (10/7)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 04:59:41 PM »
Would of bin hard for me to keep my composure lol that's why I pretty much for the most part try to just stick to fishing at night. Regardless congrats to the nice saddle bags, your facial expressions says it all. Maybe you can try connecting a couple feet of heavy braid of to connect both knots, like a pair of albrights, it will create 2 knots, but you can bump up your shock/rub leader to 130 or 150, usually I use 130, I've used up to 200# mono, say 30feet, when I wanna muscle in the big bats in snaggy areas. I have yet to hook a grinner, but I'm sure the extra heavy shock leader will help, and there will be low profile knots, so casting will be smoother...

MASSfisher

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 08:36:22 PM »
Sucks about losing a big fish. Nice sized leo's though.

At least the tourists are gone....still plenty of kooks at the beach though. Yesterday morning I had some guy jump in the water right next to where I was casting...couldn't believe it.

Maybe jumping up to 100# will do the trick. Are you against using wire??

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 11:02:23 PM »
Maybe jumping up to 100# will do the trick. Are you against using wire??

I'm still using wire, its just my 80# shock leader wasn't holding up to them rolling in it.  You have to use a wire leader when fishing for the bigger grinners.  I got redemption tonight though!   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 05:11:08 AM »
 I was really surprised you held it together with the beach kook. Mellowing with age I suppose.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 01:29:23 PM »
Sorry for your loss Tom.  :o

Can't believe the beach kook !