Author Topic: Déjà vu in almost identical fashion (4/22)  (Read 2227 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Déjà vu in almost identical fashion (4/22)
« on: April 22, 2019, 10:29:42 PM »
We decided to make a Monday run to get in on some of this shark action.  We arrived to a little bigger conditions than we were hoping for, but it appeared very fishable.  I cast out a huge chunk of bonito and it wasn't long before my rod gets SLAMMED!  I had all brand new line on my spool after that last BSB torched the old line and confidence was high.

It screamed line out... and I even tightened my star drag all the way and the speed of line dumping off the reel never changed....  It did what every big sea bass from the surf has ever done... run straight out to sea!  No lefts or rights, just straight out!  It was another massive one and before long I was deep into my braid and about 400-450 yards of line out.  I finally get it stopped, or it just happened to stop and I felt like I was rubbing into something.  Not exactly sure what it was , but I was happy to start to get it moving back in the right direction... until it turned again and started running out again.....  this time, it won. 

It took forever to reel in my rig and the coating on the steel leader was shredded, but nothing that a big black sea bass couldn't have done.  The only other thing it could have been was a GWS, but I'm very confident it was another huge BSB.   UGH......

Just like the last time, Squatch casts out and all of a sudden, says he's on!  I was still reeled in and he fought the big Sevengill to the surfline.  Damn, this 92" Sevengill had no pull like what I just had to deal with!  This was a carbon copy of our trip last week, only I happened to capture my big bass.

Big 92" male 7-gill.  Incoming...  Not bad considering we've been fishing for less than an hour...

Steve's Big Sevengill

Then, someone turned the Salad Bar light on.  The most terrible slad rolled in and made it literally impossible to fish.  After two horrendous times trying to cast past that crap, I finally hooked a true kelp monster and it wound up busting my line.  We pretty much called it an early night tonight because of that as conditions were not in our favor anymore...

Crazy how this past week has been incredible with the surf sharks and bass.  We might have to give it a go again and hope the weeds moved out or try the PSSK instead.  Cell Block Seven has been doing quite well.

Until next tide!  Keep those shark posts coming!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 10:38:30 PM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Déjà vu in almost identical fashion (4/22)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 04:00:36 AM »
before long I was deep into my braid and about 400-450 yards of line out.

Damn Tom, sounds like a freight train.  Congrats Steve, we're making a pre greylight run as I type   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 04:52:59 AM »
before long I was deep into my braid and about 400-450 yards of line out.

Damn Tom, sounds like a freight train.  Congrats Steve, we're making a pre greylight run as I type   8)

Good luck Verne.

It was a BSB for sure the way it hit.

Fun night for an hour, then the huge ball of death sat on the shore. Thought I was going to lose a finger when I got a loop around it clearing line. The surge pulled back and tightened it up. Still hurts.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 11:38:13 AM »
I wonder if that was the big kelp monster mike and I tried dragging out of wash last night. We got there around 10 though.
Keep it tight

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 11:58:18 AM »
We didn’t get any sharks but I slid a bonito head out and after a good 2 1/2 hour soak it got slammed but I didn’t hook the fish. I think I’m going to switch to double 8/0 or 9/0 tuna bend hooks for sliding bigger baits rather than a circle hook.
Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 02:47:32 PM »
I wonder if that was the big kelp monster mike and I tried dragging out of wash last night. We got there around 10 though.

We left a little after 9:00.  The kelp monster out front was crazy and didn't feel like trying to wait it out!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 03:53:56 PM »
That's a thicc 7gill!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 08:15:28 AM »
We decided to make a Monday run to get in on some of this shark action.  We arrived to a little bigger conditions than we were hoping for, but it appeared very fishable.  I cast out a huge chunk of bonito and it wasn't long before my rod gets SLAMMED!  I had all brand new line on my spool after that last BSB torched the old line and confidence was high.

It screamed line out... and I even tightened my star drag all the way and the speed of line dumping off the reel never changed....  It did what every big sea bass from the surf has ever done... run straight out to sea!  No lefts or rights, just straight out!  It was another massive one and before long I was deep into my braid and about 400-450 yards of line out.  I finally get it stopped, or it just happened to stop and I felt like I was rubbing into something.  Not exactly sure what it was , but I was happy to start to get it moving back in the right direction... until it turned again and started running out again.....  this time, it won. 

It took forever to reel in my rig and the coating on the steel leader was shredded, but nothing that a big black sea bass couldn't have done.  The only other thing it could have been was a GWS, but I'm very confident it was another huge BSB.   UGH......

Just like the last time, Squatch casts out and all of a sudden, says he's on!  I was still reeled in and he fought the big Sevengill to the surfline.  Damn, this 92" Sevengill had no pull like what I just had to deal with!  This was a carbon copy of our trip last week, only I happened to capture my big bass.

Big 92" male 7-gill.  Incoming...  Not bad considering we've been fishing for less than an hour...

Steve's Big Sevengill

Then, someone turned the Salad Bar light on.  The most terrible slad rolled in and made it literally impossible to fish.  After two horrendous times trying to cast past that crap, I finally hooked a true kelp monster and it wound up busting my line.  We pretty much called it an early night tonight because of that as conditions were not in our favor anymore...

Crazy how this past week has been incredible with the surf sharks and bass.  We might have to give it a go again and hope the weeds moved out or try the PSSK instead.  Cell Block Seven has been doing quite well.

Until next tide!  Keep those shark posts coming!

Sweet!