Author Topic: Rainbows In the Rain (1/21)  (Read 384 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Rainbows In the Rain (1/21)
« on: January 21, 2024, 05:50:07 PM »
Plan was to fish for an hour or two at the local puddles as when I went to bed, they weren't calling for much rain.  I woke up to a different story.  The hard part was trying to convince myself to stay on my recliner and watch TV, or actually head out in the rain and watch TV from the comfort of my truck cab while having a couple of rods out.  After I thought about both options, I was out the door in a heart beat.

It rained pretty good all morning.

It was pretty quiet, but then I saw my strike indicator drop suddenly!  I ran out and it was fish on!  It was definitely a trout but then I saw something out of the corner of my eye that thought a giant bass was going for my trout!  A Huge V-Wake heading right towards it!

Well, I felt the fish stop fighting and the hook pulled.  Just then a friggin cormorant popped up with my trout in his gullet!  WTF!?!?  He paraded around with the trout in his crop just to piss me off.

I kept my eyes out and the windshield wipers on to see an Osprey eyeing my patch of water.  He wanted to dive, but the muddy water was blurring his vision and he moved on to the next lake.

I was slowly reeling in to do a bait check (hoping a trout would hit it on the way in) and then the rod loaded up.  It was a weird thing as I felt it moving around and felt the weight, but was sure it was a catfish that didn't know he was hooked yet.  I just kept a steady pressure when I saw a blue line attached to my hook followed by a trout attached to the stringer! 

But alas, it was one STINKY MO FO!  It was smelling up the place and was in the pond for at least a few days to smell like this and not be eaten.  If anything I have a new stringer.  lol.  I'm guessing someone didn't secure their fish to well and it swam off on them last week.  I flipped that nasty bitch over the fence for the coyotes this evening.

I'm now ready to go to my catfish spot and try to get on the board, when I see the strike indicator drop!  I start reeling in to load up the rod and the line pulls tight.  With a small jump, the trout was gone and now I have to stay!

I recast and look to see my other rod with a fish on!  Man, these things were feisty!  Lots of thrashing at the surface and they never stopped running small bursts of line off the reel.

Solid 18.5" Bow!

Not long after and I'm on again, but it just squished the air out of the inflated crawler and never got the hook.  Another cast later and I was walking down to talk to another guy fishing near me and I see the strike indicator fall again!  I looked over and he was hooked up also!

Netted an 18" bow, but much thicker than the bigger one.

I finally called it quits and ended up with 2 nice ones on the stringer.  I get home and start filleting (Secretly hoping for red meat since all of the trout stocked here have been higher quality fish with lightning trout)...

and Voila!

It's much easier cleaning/deboning a bigger trout but it'll do!

Got home to some beer and football... You almost can't ask for a better rainy day.  Well, a limit would have qualified as better.  hahahaha

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 08:02:08 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Rainbow's In the Rain (1/21)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 06:55:54 PM »
 That's a good rainy day for sure and them things will be great on the smoker 8) 8)  Free stringer is cool too ;)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Rainbow's In the Rain (1/21)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 07:07:21 PM »
Glad the lions got another. Glad the bills are crying. And glad you found some nice orange meat, looks good.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Rainbows In the Rain (1/21)
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 03:23:18 PM »
The hard part was trying to convince myself to stay on my recliner and watch TV, or actually head out in the rain and watch TV from the comfort of my truck cab while having a couple of rods out

Looks like you made the right choice, glad you hung a couple
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect