Author Topic: Lost a big one and was almost filmed fighting it  (Read 3597 times)

Niagara

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Lost a big one and was almost filmed fighting it
« on: May 16, 2017, 02:49:44 PM »
From muskie guy.  I fished all last Wednesday night in Belmont.  I fished next to the Altimos bay breakwall half the night and on the breakwall for half the night. They were filming great whites before I went out.

30 minutes after sunrise it hit.  Took all my line, got half back, took all line again and I got half back. The next run I was moving on the rocks and had my rod in a bad position and my knot broke.

I seen it 3 times from around 200 yards.  I seen apx. 3 feet of black body arch, with no fins, and a tail splash around 3 feet from the arch.

10 minutes after I lost it a helicopter showed up filming the area.

Any thoughts I what I had on.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:45:09 PM by Niagara »

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Lost a big one and was almost filled fighting it
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 02:54:48 PM »
Sounds exciting!
Maybe a big Sevengill? They do have one dorsal fin but it is small and to the back of their body. But they don't usually run like that.
Or a big sealion?
What gear were you using? How much line?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:56:43 PM by xjchad »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Lost a big one and was almost filmed fighting it
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 05:53:30 AM »
That really sounds like a 7-gill to the T from what you described.  Most of the Sevengills come in lazily, but we do get some of the larger models (9') with attitude problems that make some great runs.  Were you using any shock leader with your rig?  Sevens have a really long tail that usually does some damage to the line and knots during a fight (besides them also just rolling in your line).

In any case it sounds like you were getting close to landing a really nice Cali shark.  Hopefully you get some more opportunities to fish and get that redemption shark! I'm ready to see another wave of sharks hitting the beach!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:18:07 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 08:56:18 AM »
Rub leader?! What's that...   ;)
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 10:06:26 AM »
Rub leaders are over rated!  ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 11:07:02 AM »
Sounds like a 7. We had an approx. 6ft 7gill swim right in front of us the other day at dawn. Threw bait at it several times and it didn't even flinch.
Keep it tight

Niagara

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 12:36:33 PM »
I had 250 yards of 40 pound monofilament

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 12:51:07 PM »
I had 250 yards of 40 pound monofilament

Damn... That what most likely happened.  Attaching a shock leader is really a pain in the ass, but much needed with these guys.  We usually use 14'-20' of 80# minimum as even then, they tear the hell out of the leader.  I've had 60# break on the skin as it wore the line down on the fight.

Well, I'm feeling pretty sure you had a nice 7-gill on now.  I'm not sure what gear you are using, but consider putting some heavier mono for a shock (or rub) leader.  You can totally get one without it, but the odds go up that it will bust the line as it rolls in it or tail slaps it.

Super cool to see you hook one on your first trip out.  Bravo!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 04:47:16 PM »
I'd give it a 95% chance that it was a big ol' bat ray, that's what Alamitos is infamous for....probably a  wing splash ;)

Niagara

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 03:15:29 AM »
For the leader I'm using 90 pound wire. 3 foot to the hook around 18 in. That I tie my monofilament line to. and I also have a monofilament to ​the sinker going off the 3 way.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 03:17:19 AM by Niagara »

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 09:32:43 AM »
For the leader I'm using 90 pound wire. 3 foot to the hook around 18 in. That I tie my monofilament line to. and I also have a monofilament to ​the sinker going off the 3 way.
From learning this the hard way myself, I'd strongly recommend to you heavier wire (these sharks are not line shy so 175# coated minumum) and 15'-20' of heavy mono rub/shock leader. When tail of a 7 thumps on 40# mono under tension a few times the result is not going to be good.