Author Topic: Surf fishing blows. Is it the curse of the red crab?  (Read 2662 times)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Surf fishing blows. Is it the curse of the red crab?
« on: January 04, 2016, 07:30:41 PM »
Amateur biology here.

In the summer we had all the red crab start moving in and swamped the beaches. Pretty much soon after the surf fishing declined. There was also a huge void of sand crabs everywhere making the surf zone a bit of a famine zone except for the red crabs.

Tom is still finding them in huge quantities offshore.

Could it be that the fish followed this easy pickings massive food source away from the surf and into the deeper waters and the predators followed.

The surf may not improve until that biomass of easy food declines.
What effects will the biomass of crabs have on the deeper water ecology. Population explosions of rock fish?

Thoughts?

Jim
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 07:43:12 PM by spideyjg »

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
Re: Surf fishing blows. Is it the curse of the red crab?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 09:31:42 PM »
"Thoughts?"

Keep walking till you find em. LOL  :P :P :P :P

Work holes and troughs. Make sure you fan cast as fish can hold on one side vs. the other.
Change your retrieve. There are times when the dead stick will work, other times moderate or quicker steady retrieve is best.
Make sure you pay attention to tides and fish moving water.
Zones can change so fish deep to very shallow as you fan cast holes.
When you get a nibble, focus on that "zone"
Baits will also influence the bite. GCSW in the 6" variety will let you vary bait length. I've had days where I couldn't get a bit on anything but the full 6" bait ... and other days when I couldn't get a peck on anything but the 2" size.
MORF is the good ole stand by. I also really like to fish crappie paddle tail baits when the going gets tough.

Heh .. only joke ... I know you know this stuff but had to have some fun with my SCSF type reply.

The fish may be eating the red crab if it's washing up close to shore, but seems like the biomass is in deeper water, and won't affect inshore fishing. Plus beach fish are opportunistic. If you present correctly, in a zone where there's fish, they will bite. Every year will be different when it comes to predator habits. If there was exact science one could predict and slaughter a species. The guessing game is natures protection, from us lowly anglers anyway  ;D ;D. Warmer water this year, different type of upwelling, different tide and zonal flow will affect feeding and habitual behaviors. Remember when the Humbolt squids were attacking swimmers a few years ago? And fishermen thought it was the end of rock fish for good? Well ... new patterns let populations rebound. I have a feeling fishing will still be pretty epic next year as it will take a while to reset to neutral .. then dip toward la nina cooler trend. Cycles are fun to watch. Steve and Tom may be giving these inshore beasts lock jaw ... but they'll soon be back. I can't catch a spotted bay bass though and it's pissing me off. Perch? No problemo.

:P :P :P :P

Good luck skunky!

D   ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 09:47:15 PM by WheresMyBeer »

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 07:57:39 AM »
We don't have those particular crabs up here (that I know of) and fishing hasn't been any better than down there, so I have to lean towards those crabs not really being the problem. Not that I've actually got to fish much lately though, maybe fishing is great up here and I just don't know it!
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 09:59:04 AM »
Very thorough answer, Dave.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 01:07:21 PM »
Yeah, what Dave said and "make a move!" It can be tough when you're baiting and waiting, but if the spot you're in isn't producing, move. Also, change your presentation or offering. Give them natural forage. I'm assuming you're only talking about the bait and wait style fishing since all of the reports I've seen of yours is that particular style of fishing. Extreme weather changes can also give fish lockjaw.

Dry streaks can be frustrating, but they won't last forever. Keep at it...
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 02:04:51 PM »
With the narrow window to fish I only get to an AO after dark, so here in the winter I'm focusing on sharks and rays.

If I can hit before sunset I'd bring some other gear but this, that, and the other thing need addressing first before going fishing. So I'm at best an hour after sunset before getting to a site.

Jim

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 02:07:15 PM »
With the narrow window to fish I only get to an AO after dark, so here in the winter I'm focusing on sharks and rays.

If I can hit before sunset I'd bring some other gear but this, that, and the other thing need addressing first before going fishing. So I'm at best an hour after sunset before getting to a site.

Jim

Pretty much the same boat as you Jim. I don't even bother going if the tides are just not going to be in my favor.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 05:40:35 AM »
Somehow, when the perch are missing some people say fishing sucks.  I'm with Dave on this one, the fish are there.  2015 was a stellar year for me on the light rod............2 legal butts, 1 legal barracuda, PB YFC, PB calico and countless 20+ fish days (bonito, barracuda & macs).  Just started fishing the long rods a couple of weeks ago, so far ZERO!!!  Gonna soak bait Sunday night again, I'll let you guys know...V
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect