Author Topic: The Running Hookset  (Read 3941 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
The Running Hookset
« on: November 11, 2015, 06:17:03 AM »
Ray, Steve and I got to talking last night about my running hooksets.  Sometime you don't need them, but I like stretching the line out and getting the stretch out quick before setting the hook.  It may seem silly, but it's very effective and I've been doing it since the early 90's.

On FB this morning, I saw this and it about sums it up.  It's not the long rod, but he's loading up that heavy mono and getting the hook to sink it and compensating for the quick turns a shark can do. 

https://www.facebook.com/645082715519560/videos/1148906981803795/

In essence, what's your general hookset method?
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: The Running Hookset
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 06:28:17 AM »
I have been using braid to a mono rub leader. Not much stretch to remove. I usually just grab the rod and get some bend in it. Sometimes I will give it a pull to set the hook, but not always. I do prefer to remain standing. I will say your technique is effective.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 06:53:45 AM »
When soaking the long rods, a bit of running man is always involved, mainly since I use mono mainlines. When i use braid, I just kinda raise the rod and wind down hard.

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 07:18:06 AM »
This is the first ive heard of this style of hook set, can you explain your technique? Im guessing you lift your rod and take 5-6 quick steps back?
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 07:48:57 AM »
I use circles  when soaking bait.

Once I'm done letting it run in free spool and I decide it's time bury to hook, I'll throw it in gear and immediately start walking backwards/pulling back on the rod. When I get the rod doubled over and feel a certain about of pressure I know my circle is buried in its mouth.

If it decides to make a run towards shore and I can't crank fast enough to keep a bow in the rod/tension on the line, then I'll begin walking backwards to keep things tight.

My method is just about 100% I rarely lose a fish.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:54:27 AM by Eric H »

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 08:37:47 AM »
Like Eric I use circle hooks and also run braid. I only run to keep up when the fish runs towards orup and down the beach.

Started on circles many years ago with catfish to cut down on gut hooked fish and ones that tossed the hook.

Jim

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 08:18:38 PM »
I like the backward momentum with the hook set as well. Watched this guy do it a lot in the bay ... back in the day ...

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 10:11:02 PM »
I always laugh at guys doing this. especially when they get pulled forward or just slip and fall after clicking into gear.

I leave it in the hold. click into gear and reel like hell till its tight. the fish is usually pulling drag by that time.
Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 07:26:19 AM »
That may be good and well with the big gear on the sand as I have very little experience with that style of shark fishing, but I know for sure that I have increased my hook up amount because of the tackle and line I use by doing that with the long rod.  Like others say, straight braid and there is no need, but I get the stretch out of my line much quicker with the run than trying to reel down and the sevens don't always run after taking the bait, but you see a big jump on the rod before it starts to go out... or run to you and now there is a ton of slack.

I still get a kick out of it though.

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 09:38:14 AM »
Tom---
Do you just take a few quick steps back when setting the hook?  Or if not can you describe it for me? I'm trying to learn the tricks of the trade so to speak and see what works best for me...
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 01:54:11 PM »
Tom---
Do you just take a few quick steps back when setting the hook?  Or if not can you describe it for me? I'm trying to learn the tricks of the trade so to speak and see what works best for me...

It's not my every time hookset.  It all depends on the bite.  If that rod loads up and the line starts screaming like a banshee, it's just grab the rod and fight him as he is hooked.

I usually use the running hookset in a few situations. 
  • One is when the line just drops.  The fish doesn't always run away from you but occasionally runs right at you.  There is no way in hell you can reel up the slack line fast enough, so grabbing the rod and running back allows you to make up line and still bury the hook if he didn't get too far ahead of you. 
  • The next is when the rod tip starts doing something funny.  You can sometimes tell that something is going on with your bait and just want to get the hook in as fast as possible.  Many times it is the bass and other bait stealers that do not have much mass, so difficult to get the big 10/0 hook in his face with just a swing and won't allow you to load up the rod with something 10x smaller than what you are after.
  • My last one is usually shark related.  You will get good at telling a shark hit from a ray over time.  Steve and I can call it as soon as we see the hit.  A shark (at least local SoCal) makes the rod jump around before making a run.  They also flop when they feel the pressure of the sinker sunk into the sand and it bows the line slightly.  A running hookset catches up with the loose line in a hurry and gives you an ability to sink the hook much quicker than reeling down on it.

This is all from bite to bite though.  My brain lets me know what to do the minute I grab the rod out of the holder when I feel what type of pressure is on there.  No real "black or white" way to do it, but it definitely has its time and place.  Just another skill that some will pick up and use and some will never even try it.

I hope that helps.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 03:02:01 PM »
I usually just grab the rod and get some bend in it. Sometimes I will give it a pull to set the hook, but not always. I do prefer to remain standing.

I do this.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)