Author Topic: Carpzilla 2, me 0  (Read 2360 times)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Carpzilla 2, me 0
« on: October 10, 2016, 03:17:05 PM »
Tried out the classic British hair rig in a heavily pressured spot. Rig worked great on a carp take

Same result as last time, big bastige ran into the weeds laughing at my drag and popped off. Damn the claims of high abrasion resistance of fluorocarbon. I'm going Big Game next time.

I'm gonna get him one day....Wait a few weeks and hit him again.

Damn bullheads ate 2 hooks.

Jim
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 03:19:15 PM by spideyjg »

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: Carpzilla 2, me 0
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 09:27:04 PM »
You've been on a fresh water tear lately!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 06:25:10 AM »
Just spent a week on the east coast and was too jet lagged to make a surf run.

I have a week off coming up and wanted another IV run and some sand time more bait would be nice. Carp meat is tough as hell so want to see what will happen with the damn hook cleaning thieves with bait that has to get cut off the hook sometimes.

The skin is so tough I scale them with a butcher knife "shaving" the suit of armor off them.

Jim

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 06:34:31 AM »
Just spent a week on the east coast and was too jet lagged to make a surf run.

I have a week off coming up and wanted another IV run and some sand time more bait would be nice. Carp meat is tough as hell so want to see what will happen with the damn hook cleaning thieves with bait that has to get cut off the hook sometimes.

The skin is so tough I scale them with a butcher knife "shaving" the suit of armor off them.

Jim

My guess is you'll still reel in a coat of armored scales without a lick of meat on it.  LOL

I'm still waiting to see you catch Carpzilla!  Maybe it's your turn for a Soupfin also?  So many options in the fall.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 09:13:14 AM »
I've pulled ones out in the 8-10 lb range.

Hoping to bring in one of the bait thieves themselves trying to get the meat off the hook.

They are very fatty and sweet smelling so may have saltwater bait appeal. Easier than trying to get to OB for macs or Bonita.

Interesting article on a SoCal catman using a variant of the hair rig concept for Flatheads.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/catfish/flathead-catfish/one-cool-catfish-rig/

Jim