Author Topic: Been putting in the Time on the Sand  (Read 2803 times)

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Been putting in the Time on the Sand
« on: February 20, 2023, 08:31:57 PM »
After the last few reports I've seen for this year I'm hesitant to post my few catches. But I figure it's time spent on the sand so it's more info for everyone.
My last report was from a boat and I noticed quite a bit of bait in the water a mile or more out. I spent some time on the sand the last two weekends and found some success there. Saturday 2/11 at Doheny beach found good conditions, small surf and no salad, but couldn't get a bite. I was using mussles which have worked in the past for at least a croaker. Sunday was another day and same conditions and in the morning was the same outcome.
In the afternoon, I moved about 100 yards south out of the campgrounds and setup again for a second round. Got my first bite on mussels and pulled in a medium sized spotfin croaker. I had run out of mussels so I switched to squid. First bite and I pulled in a barred surf perch.  ???  I started to get bites e ery cast missing bait on every reteive for about a half hour. Managed to pull in a 10inch perch. I haven't seen the perch around for quite sometime so I was very pleased to see them back. The bite slowed and the last hookup was a batray. I haven't hooked a batray in close to a year, so I was happy to see them back again too.

Although i had wished it would've been bigger.  :o

Went Sunday at sunup out to my Goto place on CDM jetty. Lots of bait in the water early. Was hooking up on the usual mackerels, and then pulled in a sardine. I haven't caught one of them for more then 5 years. I guess since the waters cooled down they are back, like the perch and the sand crabs. Also hooked up with another unexpected catch, a halibut.

Again, I wish it would've been bigger.

-Keith

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Been putting in the Time on the Sand
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 03:41:24 AM »

SNBF material right there.  All kidding aside, glad you got out and hung a few.  Been brutal for us
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 08:14:50 AM »
Thanks Vern.
I was thinking the same thing. There have been few reports lately to go by.
I am on a kayak website which has been essentially silent. Yet when i was on the beach in Dana Point on the 11th, i saw kayaks staying in the same location all morning and not seeing a post.
Either that means they were getting the stripe or there was something out there and they weren't ready to share.

-Keith

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 08:29:29 AM »
Keith, that's the biggest Bat Ray I've seen since last bat fight.  lol

It's been cold, windy, and terrible water conditions.  I'm hoping this will all change this spring.  Thanks for the report boss!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 02:26:44 PM »
Wouldn't it be funny if SNBF was won by this size batray. I seem to remember one recent event was won by something around 20 inches.  ???
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 05:19:47 PM by Dark_Knight_9C1 »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 06:30:55 AM »
Wouldn't it be funny if SNBF was won by this size batray. I seem to remember one recent event was won by something around 20 inches.  ???

New rules this year.  Anything under 28" doesn't count and tiebreaker's 1 and 2 will happen then.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.