Author Topic: Pulling the Trigger on Sheepshead (2/5)  (Read 1549 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Pulling the Trigger on Sheepshead (2/5)
« on: February 06, 2022, 01:32:11 PM »
Met up Steve for a morning mission.... Find some Triggerfish.  I wanted to try something I normally don't use outside from fishing from shore.

Morning was a bit breezy, but didn't cause much of a problem and thankfully laid down in no time.

Generally, the fishing was pretty slow and we had to work hard to find fish.  normally, we would have caught a few dozen bass at minimum, but not this day.  The only bass was caught by Steve and we literally tried/fished at least 10 spots all morning.
Steve had the honor of being the Sculpin King with a few really nice rattlers!

I had a problem... like a sheepshead problem.... lol

I seriously caught and released a dozen of them  Even Squatch's secret Sheepshead rig could'nt get one.  He did manage a few other critters like this brownie.

I had quite the variety today, but the best catch for me was getting my target species!  Big old triggerfish box was checked!

I ended up with Treefish, limits of successfully released Vermillion Reds, Browns, Blacksmith, and something else I think besides the trigger.

The Gulp 2" and 3" shrimp were the ticket!  Only thing was that triggers and sheepshead can really waste expensive Gulp baits in a hurry!

Fun day on the water indeed, but it sounded pretty quiet on the radio.  I'll be looking forward to Rockfish season reopening!

Thanks for reading!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Pulling the Trigger on Sheepshead (2/5)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 04:23:31 PM »
They loved those stupid pieces of plastic.

Fun day.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 06:00:40 PM »
Looks like fun, can't wait to get in on the action 😎

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 03:53:43 AM »
Looks good guys, glad you had a successful outing.  What did you do about the casing on the bait pump Tom?
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 05:27:29 AM »
Looks good guys, glad you had a successful outing.  What did you do about the casing on the bait pump Tom?

Nothing at the moment. I'm waiting for the right moment to tackle that one. It should be easy, until you see where it is....
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 08:20:37 PM »
Cool variety as usual. Gulp shrimp is the candy hm? Duly noted. I remember having a field day with perch and rockfish in the Malibu kelp many years ago on the nuclear chicken shrimp.