Author Topic: Woof! 10/21  (Read 2220 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Woof! 10/21
« on: October 21, 2022, 03:10:53 PM »
Phone got some water damage at the end of last trip. Started getting all wonky, shutting off randomly and going in and out of recognizing my SIM card. Last text I got from my dad was "I'll get going at 0530" so I figured that would put him at the ramp about 0700. Arrived at 0640 and he arrived about 0720. Safety briefing and off we went...well we waited another 20 minutes at the jetties for the naval ship to get going. Really wish they would develop a better system for that thing coming and going other than blare a siren at anybody who comes within 100 yards of the Coast Guard RIB that's guarding the harbor mouth.....

Got out of the harbor and was met with very different conditions from yesterday, contrary to the forecast. My analysis was a 1-3' 12 second West swell and a 1' South wind swell. It was very choppy and we went right into it. Dad got a little wet on the bow.

Pulled up on the spot from yesterday and it just didn't pop open. Uphill current like yesterday, but a pretty quick drift and despite all the marks, the fish just didn't wanna play. Got a few short bites over an hour hoping it would turn on before we decided to try a different spot.

Pull up on the next spot and instantly dad gets on the board with a couple short calicos and I get 2 sandies. What a difference a quarter mile can make. I don't get it, but duly noted...

Double.

Tried anchoring up over the top of the stone and despite the marks, fish didn't wanna play anymore. Tried a few more spots, then headed back to the oil rig right outside of the harbor. Nabbed a sculpin.

Wild how quickly things can change in a day. 2 calicos, 3 sand bass, 1 sculpin. Felt a little bad that we couldn't catch half of what I got yesterday, but good seeing dad.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Woof! 10/21
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 08:12:59 AM »
Arrived at 0640 and he arrived about 0720. Safety briefing and off we went

Why does this take my back to 1969  8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 05:27:40 PM »
I was thinking about going out but had way too much on my to-do list.  Funny, I saw it was pretty windy at the house and was wondering how the ocean was going to look. 

Damn, glad you guys got out and back safe.  Bummer on the slow day, but it sounded like a fun time with pops!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 06:13:41 PM »
Arrived at 0640 and he arrived about 0720. Safety briefing and off we went

Why does this take my back to 1969  8)

Sounds like you were waiting for the man.