Author Topic: Inshore w/ Jared, Underwater Cam Debut 5/11  (Read 97 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Inshore w/ Jared, Underwater Cam Debut 5/11
« on: May 11, 2024, 05:59:18 PM »
Go ahead and open this up in a new tab...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E7Pdb1Lkao

Went out with Jared this morning with a plan to find rockfish then go shallow. Was supposed to be pristine conditions with basically no wind all day, but that was out the window from the start. 5-8 W in the morning is not conducive to drifts in 900', so gave up on that tack quickly. Then realized my oil pressure might be a bit low on the way out, so decided 300' was too far and stayed close to home inshore.

I got my underwater camera last week and was itching to use it. Dropped it on the 3 way rig at Izor's to start. Terribly sticky bottom but potentially great footage. Camera was essentially attached to 50# while sinker and lure were on 30# so hoped that would keep me out of trouble. First drops were tangles with so many weighted things swinging around, so had to cut down the leaders a bit and slow my drop to the bottom and retrieve back up.

We weren't getting bites at Izor's so we headed to a bunch of stones nearby, gradually going shallower. Was still slow but Jared broke skunk first with a small calico.

Then we got into a section where they seemed to be on. Started as a slow pick for Jared while I only got pecked, but eventually hooked up. From there it was doubles every couple minutes. Managed at least 20 between us before we felt we had abused the sandie population enough and left to get our asses kicked through the chop back to the harbor.

Footage turned out pretty good. The bottom structure was about what I expected. Thought there would be more fish around, but enough showed up on camera to keep it interesting. I will probably adjust the rig a bit in the future to avoid tangles, and hopefully get sunnier days with a little clearer water. Also hope to use it on particularly interesting marks and potentially confirm the presence of exotics when they do appear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E7Pdb1Lkao
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 06:41:45 PM by jrodda »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Inshore w/ Jared, Underwater Cam Debut 5/11
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 07:16:01 PM »
That video was REALLY cool , Jeremy!  I'm excited to see what you capture on future videos!  I'll revisit this later tonight or tomorrow.  Super cool.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 04:11:43 AM »
The video is awesome Jeremy, very cool indeed
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 09:12:23 AM »
Really cool video.
It's amazing how they can hammer the swim bait and not end up hooking themselves.

-Keith

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2024, 10:21:00 PM »
That looked like a solid goat at 1:50
Keep it tight

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2024, 10:15:34 AM »
That looked like a solid goat at 1:50

I need a little whiteboard to ID the spots before I drop it in. Those sheeps got me excited but it might be one of two spots and I’m not sure. Also got excited to see shiner perch there instead of the usual blacksmith. It’s the little things.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2024, 04:53:11 PM »
Not much talent you have to get so many bites and land very few fish.

Put a stinger hook in the tail, that will fix those short biting SOBs.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)